[CLOSED]The "It's about time I had a giveaway" contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by H8_modern, May 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunduril

Aunduril Well-Known Member

My favorite coin would have to be the large cent.

"This is science here folks, why use an easy word when a hard one will do just fine."

Cheech9712 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Favorite coin? St. Gauden's $20.

Quote?

"Life consists not in holding good cards but in playing those you hold well."
    - Josh Billings

4. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

IMG_4077.JPG
    IMG_4201.JPG
    "I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"
    Alexander the Great

Very generous of you @H8_modern. No matter what you call the contest it's a nice gesture :)

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    lordmarcovan likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Favorite coin:
    Cherrypicked a very scarce variety:

An R-7.
    1806 O-127a R-7
    O-127a

R-7

Grade: G-4
    [Note: no condition census given for die state. However, O-127: 20,20,15,12,12)
    Obverse: 12-s2
    Reverse: H

Diagnostics:
    Obverse: Die Crack, Y above T at top.
    Reverse: Berries do not have stems.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Favorite quote:

Quis custodiet ipsos custodies

[Who will watch the watchers.]

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-isenberg/quis-custodiet-ipsos-cust_b_595304.html

6. Johndoe2000$

Johndoe2000$ Well-Known Member

"Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what the O.P. Will send the winner".

Thanks for your generosity.
    as for a coin, at this time, a Silver American Eagle, (or gold), would work.

Kentucky likes this.
  7. Talkradiofan

Talkradiofan New Member

"The highest courage is to dare to be yourself in the face of adversity. Choosing right over wrong, ethics over convenience, and truth over popularity. These are the choices that measure your life. Travel the path of integrity without looking back, for there is never a wrong time to do the right thing.

Attached Files:

LaCointessa likes this.
  8. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

moneycostingmemoney likes this.
  9. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

10. KarlB

KarlB Active Member

upload_2017-5-10_9-53-51.png
    The way to take care of the future is also the good care of the present moment: Thich Nhat Hanh

LaCointessa likes this.
  11. martybox

martybox Member

"It's not the heat, it's humanity."

12. Nyatii

Nyatii I like running w/scissors. Makes me feel dangerous

One of my long time favorites:

“Illegitimi non carborundum”

"Don't let the bast**ds grind you down"

It's a mock-Latinaphorism which originated in WWII

As far as a coin, any nice Ancient coin makes me excited.

13. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

My husband had a 1912s V Nickel that he paid on weekly. It was by far his favorite. He was drafted and never made it back. I've looked countless times for it to no avail. I've held it and wish I'd find it. It is by far our favorite coin. I'm never giving up.

moneycostingmemoney and Kentucky like this.
  14. Cheech9712

You are what you eat. And For God Sake no yellow snow

lordmarcovan and Kentucky like this.
  15. LaCointessa

@Cheech9712
    If you don't post a quote with your coin preference you will probably be disqualified from the give away. Not like I need the competition, but, considering your hubby gave his life for our country, I figured you deserved a "heads up."

Oh good, you caught it!

16. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction.Fiction has to make sense. Mark Twain
    (I can't figure out how to post photos. Don't have a problem with it anywhere else. Even googled instructions from previous CT post and that didn't work. My favorite coin is a 1902 barber quarter that I bought at an estate sale in a junk box of stuff that cost $25. I had it graded by PCGS. It went at PR63)

17. Cheech9712

If that doesn't win , I'm not sure I'm ever going to hear again such words on coin talk. Bravo

18. GMAof8

GMAof8 New Member

Fool me once shame on you! Fool me twice shame on me! But in this case, Fool me once and the coin gets hammered!
    Panda Hammered.JPG

19. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

"A thief with a great collection is not to be admired for his collecting skills" [​IMG]

20. LaCointessa

@H8_modern

Please, I have a question.

It seems entrants are posting photographs of coins they like which they already own. The type of coin I am liking now more than any other is similar to what I described and showed in my entry - but I don't own anything like it. Is it acceptable for your give away that my preferred or favorite coin be one that I don't actually own?

Thank you in advance for the clarification.

21. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Jim/H8M- you did me right in our swap, which happened to be my first on this site, so enter me or not at your discretion.

I don't have one single favorite quote or single favorite coin.

So I'll post one of my nicer coins and the amusing historical anecdote associated with it.

(Which happens to include a quote.)

Ancient Roman Empire: silver "Capricorn" denarius of Vespasian, struck by Titus ca. 80-81 AD
    [​IMG]

Here is the emperor Vespasian, seen on a posthumous denarius struck by his son and successor, Titus.

While he was dying, Vespasian reportedly cracked a joke.

"Vae, puto deus fio."

("Dear me, I think I'm becoming a god".)

This was in reference to the Roman practice of deifying certain dead emperors (in other words, officially proclaiming them as new gods.)

All this from a fella who was dying of diarrhea. Ugh! You've gotta respect his spirit.

On this coin's legend, you see the title "DIVVS" ("Divus"), for "god", so Vespasian was proven correct. They'd gone and made him a god, all right.

From Wikipedia

Curtisimo and H8_modern like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.