Featured The Devil of Coin TV is back! Hide the Newbies!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Norsk64, May 10, 2018.

1. Norsk64

Norsk64 The Coin TV Critic

Who is this I speak of? I'm sure there are plenty of opinions on who it could be, but I speak of a man that has absolutely no regard for the truth and without a blink will speak with his deviled tongue to deceive the most vulnerable, just to make a buck. It's in his DNA. He's the worst of the worst. And he's back with his own TV Coin Show which I caught last night for the first time, resulting in my blood pressure rising from the more I heard and saw. So newbies beware! And stay the hell away from TV on Wednesday nights from 7-10PM EDT! Lest you risk being sucked into his vortex of lies and deception.

"Coin and Collectibles Network" recently went Live hosted by none other than defunct AAN-TV Host, Adam aka "The Chopper". Yes, the biggest charlatan in Coin TV is back with his large ego and bag of tricks he dumps on viewers, much like his AAN-TV days. (NOTE: I wrote a review of AAN-TV last year and it is available here on CoinTalk). Talk about stomach turning. It's the same-old, same-old in terms of lies and deception when offering coins on CCN. (Another Note: Shawn Leflar, a Coin TV Veteran and another AAN-TV Host, unsuccessfully trotted out his own coin network about 5 years back. It's name? Coin and Collectibles TV. Not sure if Shawn is any way involved in this "new" CCN.). But I digress...Adam was his usual loud, excitable, and deceptive self as he peddled coins "graded" by garbage slabbing company IGS (International Grading Service). He offered a 1990 American Silver Eagle in a "MS70" and had a Numismedia Valuation Quote on-screen of $8410.00 for an MS70. Thing is, that $8410.00 valuation of a 1990 ASE in MS70 by Numismedia is for NGC and PCGS graded coins. Not garbage "grading" firms such as IGS! He lauded the rarity of such a graded coin and the insane deal he was offering viewers and regurgitated the notion that he cares for the collector. How much does he care? Selling a likely 1990 ASE NGC/PCGS MS67 or 68 at a price of $299.12 plus shipping. Thanks, but no thanks Chopper. He pushes the idea of buying 4, and having coins worth $35,000, but for just $1200.00! Wow! What a deal! Only it isn't. It's a rip-off targeting new, uninformed/uneducated collectors. I called in during a downtime and waited 8 minutes on-hold and eventually talked to a human with whom I found out some rather interesting information about CCN. TV studio is still in St. Petersburg, Florida where AAN-TV also was located. Thing is, Ordering calls go to California! No operators in Florida whatsoever. What is so laughable is that when Adam announced prices On-Air, a voice from the Florida studio yells out "20 Calls On-Hold!!" "Better call in now before they sell out" Adam echoes after hearing the Producer or Cameraman yell out the calls On-Hold. Different IGS Coins followed in the line-up of show with the same BS deceptions. Puke!! I couldn't take anymore.

While I am impartial in regards to Coin TV Networks and Shows, and the role they play in the hobby, when I see blatant deception I'm going to call it out. And last night it was as expected...the worst of the worst. Chopper is back. Hopefully not for long!

As always, any comments are welcome. Thanks for checking in.

Jeff

P.S. I will be featuring "The Coin Vault" and "AVC Collectible Coins with Don Davis" in the next few months in my "COINS - AS SEEN ON TV!" write-ups and reviews here on CoinTalk. Stay tuned!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    gold standard db and ominus1 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage

Oh yeah, I appreciate the warning! ;) I use all those shows for background shizzle, since I always have the tv on it works as my background music, without the music.

Norsk64 likes this.
  4. Norsk64

Yeh, I kind of do the same. Thanks for the comment!

Cochisz likes this.
  5. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

Funny you should post this. I was on a business trip, bored out of my mind last night, and turned the Tv on a coin show with Don Davis. If it had been my TV I might have thrown something at it. The mark-up they put on those coins is just staggering. If these "hawkers" are truly numismatists, then they ought to be ashamed to call themselves that.

6. Casman

Casman Member

One of my best memories from a few years back was buying out the Coin Vault. IIRC, we grabbed close to 400 freshly graded NGC ER's MS 69's coins in under 15 minutes @ $29.99 ea.
    The market price was $100 ea.

Cochisz and Norsk64 like this.
  7. Histman

Histman Too Many Coins, Not Enough Time!

I bet you don't see those type of deals anymore. I guess maybe something gets by them every now and again, but not usually.

8. Casman

Casman Member

Whelp, I don't really look anymore. Most of the guys are gone. One passed away, a few others stopped posting, and I guess like they say all good things eventually end. It was awesome times.

ominus1 likes this.
  9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..as of right now i'm listening to YES, changes....

Norsk64 and Casman like this.
  10. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Active Member

A true Snake oil salesman! Very slippery!

Norsk64 likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

My comment. They may mis-lead, make implications, and "fudge" their comments in other ways, but they DON'T lie. They can get in serious trouble for that and I'm sure their copy is gone over with a fine tooth comb to make sure there are no outright falsehoods. For example they might show that IGS slabbed coin and say "look at this American silver eagle that has been graded MS-70 by IGS" and they might show the Numismedia price guide and say "This leading price guide values a MS-70 at $XXXX.00!" Both of those statements are TRUE. The fact that the numismedia guide doesn't apply to IGS graded coins, or that an IGS graded coin would not receive that grade from the firm the guide does apply to are not mentioned, but that doesn't make the original statements false.

12. Norsk64

Appreciate your perspective. I was an avid watcher of AAN-TV's Coin TV lineup which at one time was 5 days a week. I was a customer of theirs. There were occasional good buys, and as a small dealer it paid off shopping with them. But the countless times I saw and heard flat-out lies, is quite clear. They were not just misleading, the statements were false. One example I recall is their on-air promotion of the 2014 Kennedy Anniversary silver strike in a perfect MS70 DPL, with another IGS graded coin. During airing of segment, they held up a piece of paper showing record price paid in internet auction which of course was crazy high. They then proceeded to put up IGS coin in similar grade on the paper. "This coin was just sold in auction at $$$!" Never mentioning it was an NGC slab that fetched the record price which was actually pictured on paper. Call it "fudging" or playing loose with the truth, it was a lie. And it's the new collector that doesn't know any better, that ends up hurt. I don't know your Coin TV and specifically AAN-TV's watching history, but I know mine. I have no agenda with my "COINS - AS SEEN ON TV write-ups. But when I see and hear pure BS, I will call them out on it.

Thanks again for your comment. It is appreciated.

13. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Glad I am old enough to be comfortable doing my deals down at my favorite shop...... I often fall asleep weekend with the History channel on and this guy comes on in the wee hours. Never was there a slicker speaker. He reminded me very distinctly of waking at 2am once before to hear a TV preacher selling a fifty buck bottle of "magical holy water".

Norsk64 likes this.
  14. Norsk64

Yes, in the early morning you happened upon Mike Meezak who does host duty at CSN, but his main gig is Host of HSN The Vault, where he offers some of the same coins as CSN. Be sure to read my write-up of HSN-The Vault here on Coin Talk for a better idea of Mike and HSN. Just don't fall for the polished shtick! And as for the "Miracle Water," that is TV Preacher Peter Popoff. The best example I could possibly provide as a true wolf in sheeps clothing! A comedy if it weren't so sad...

Thanks for the comment!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  15. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Supporter! Supporter

That's a perfect illustration of the difference between the truth and the WHOLE TRUTH.

Stevearino and Norsk64 like this.
  16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

IGS has been “grading” coins, mostly ASEs, for the TV peddlers for some time. If they’ve graded a coin less than 70, I sure missed it.

Stevearino and Norsk64 like this.
  17. Norsk64

So you noticed that too? My biggest complaint against AAN-TV aka The Decepticons, was the use and promotion of the "Always Perfect IGS 70 FIRST DAY OF ISSUE" in poorly constructed holders/slabs. And now now Adam "Chopper's" new coin show CCN Coin Collectibles Network is on the IGS bandwagon. History has a way of repeating itself...

Thanks for the note!

18. Rich Buck

Rich Buck New Member

That guy is shameless.

Norsk64 likes this.
  19. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I can’t get the new network here. Went to the Web site and none of the coin pictures would load. Just as well I guess.

20. Casman

Casman Member

We used to run them up whenever we realized "they" were buying. This was back when watchcount had buyer purchase history. One of their buyers gave the tell with the ship to address. I can recall the texts flying out that read TV buying RAISE. They did drive the numbers on quite a few us mint releases.

Norsk64 likes this.
  21. Norsk64

Consider yourself lucky! They're back on tomorrow night for more hijinx

Draft saved Draft deleted