The day the Morgan got killed

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jaceravone, Apr 30, 2008.

1. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Over this past Easter weekend, my Dad gave me the rest of his small coin collection. One of the pieces included this 1890 O Morgan. It was very well worn, but nicely toned over the years. It had sat in his top drawer for over 40 years. My 10 yr old neice was attached at my hip wanting to see all the coins that my Dad had given me and the ones that I bought that weekend. In an attempt to interest her in coin collecting I gave her the Morgan so she can hold onto it and think of me. I explained to her all about Morgans and coin collecting in general. I am quite sure that I explained to her rule number 1 - never clean a coin.

Well this is what I received in the mail today - along with some wildlife cards as my b-day present. She said she wanted me to have the coin to think of her, but I needed to send it back so we can always think of each other (I live in WV and they live in Cape Cod) Well, so much for rule number 1! I am also pretty sure the Morgan picked up some additional rim dings. :goof: :mouth: But it is so shinny! Guess I'll send it back. LOL :mouth:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Nice story - send it back.

4. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

yea the story is nice but we really dont want to see dead morgans we are coin collectors you know :)

5. tjenkins_1983

tjenkins_1983 Numismaniac

Still, it's a good learning experience for her. Maybe send it back with a note explaining why it's always going to be hers now (no one's going to want to buy it... lol) Sorry.
    Still a nice story and maybe it'll be something she truly hangs on to in the future.

6. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Joe,

Ten years old, huh? While you're at it why don't you loan her your MS-65 Red 1909-S VDB Cent, MS-65 St. Gaudens High Relief Double Eagle, your collection of Faberge Eggs and your car? :D

7. cesariojpn

cesariojpn Coin Hoarder

Surprise her with a price guide breakdown. Show her how much the coin is worth uncleaned....and what it's worth now cleaned.

8. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Bruce - How did you know that I owned all those? I don't remember telling you that. ;) And its a Ferrari by the way. :cool:

9. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I peeked in your window after a Rockies game last week. ;)

10. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

peeking in other people windows eh? didnt know you did that ;)

11. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

I knocked first and, when he didn't answer, I wanted to make sure Joe was OK so I peeked in the window.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

12. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

Slather Elmer's glue on it, dip it in glitter, let it dry, and then send it back.
    :)

13. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think you should try to re-tone it. It will never be a valuable coin, but ten years from now it might be a better looking coin.

14. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Maybe I should do the old coin in the baked potatoe trick. :rolleyes:

15. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

Toning won't help those rim dings.

16. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I was thinking of something slower and more natural, but this could be a nice coin to experiment with. You can tone it and dip it until you get the look you want.

Another technique which I like a lot is to just carry the coin in your pocket to impart a little natural wear to smooth out the dings. Coins were made for this sort of treatment and sometimes you can turn a bad XF into a better VF coin. Your's is a little too far gone for this but it's something to keep in mind.

17. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

I like your idea Roto..........pretty!!! LOL

18. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Jedi mind trick - you don't see any rim dings, never had any rim dings. :cool:

The coin is silver scrap. Never had any numismatic value - just sentimental value - which is still does. I could care less about the coin or what was done to it. Just a cute story to share. This coin will log many miles back and forth.

I do like Rotobeast's idea though. :eek:hya:

19. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

"I don't see any rim dings...

It never had any rim dings..."

20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

It worked!!!!

Now if I can just convince the guys at the coin shop that it's a MS70. :kewl:

21. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

how does the potato trick work ? i need to know the oven setiings nad how long it takes for the green or blue color . thanks.

Draft saved Draft deleted