The Clinker Award

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by GDJMSP, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

As most of you who are familiar with Coin Talk are aware, we have a member here by the name of Clinker. Now Clinker has gone to the trouble and effort, and it has been no small amount of effort, to organize and put together what he calls Trivia Posts. And if you took the time to do a search on it you would find that there are 10 full pages posts like this, 250 posts - all made by Clinker.

These posts that Clinker makes really only have one purpose - to help others. And it is that spirit, of being willing to go out of your way to help others learn and to increase their knowledge of this hobby that best embodies the spirit of Coin Talk.

In honor of the effort that Clinker has voluntarily put forward, and to dedicate to Clinker a special honor, we have decided to create a new award for Coin Talk in his name and it shall be known as The Clinker Award !

Now any and all members of Coin Talk are eligible for The Clinker Award. And it is the members of Coin Talk that will choose which posts are worthy of this award. At the bottom right corner of all posts, excepting the first post of any thread, you will see Clinker Award Nomination. If you, in your own opinion find that particular post to be exceptional and worthy of recognition - then click on that link and that post will be nominated. At the end of the week, all nominations will be counted and the individual posts receiving the most nominations will be given the Clinker Award.

As you all know, we already have the Topic Of The Week award. But only the first post in the thread is eligible for that award. This will be a way for you, the members of Coin Talk, to offer special recognition to those who make what you consider to be a noteworthy post.

Now there are still a few decisions to be made, like how many nominations to qualify for the Clinker Award; and part of the reason they haven't been made already is because to a large degree the decisions will depend upon you, the members. So we might have only 1 Clinker Award per week and we might have several - we'll just have to see how it goes.

But anyway, there it is - a way for you to recognize those whom you deem worthy of that recognition.

Now right now, all you see in that bottom right corner is - Did you find this post useful ? - with a - Yes I did ! - link. That wording will be changing shortly to the appropriate wording. In the meantime, click away if you agree with the intent.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

Well I'll tell ya what guys. Between these two posts you guys have given me an idea. And with it I can revive an older idea of mine, The Clinker Award, that didn't work out. We have such an area Jim, Numismatic Resources. So here's what we'll do. There's no way to do with the forum software that I know of, so we'll do it the hard way. Starting now, members can nominate any post, not thread, that they think is deserving of being saved in a place that it can be easily found for later reference. But it will require at least 10 nominations from individual members for that post to be included. The way you make these nominations will be for you, the members, to send me a PM with a link to that specific post, and if it gets 5 nominations, I'll include it. I'll create a new spot call The Clinker Award and that's where all such nominated post can be found. At the end of each post will be a link back to the original thread so anyone can read the entire thread. For the time being, this thread is now a Sticky so that anyone can see it and know how to participate. Understand - any nonsensical nominations, or any that I consider "over the top" will be rejected out of hand. We'll give it a go and see how it works ;)

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t107395/#ixzz0nkKaskLI

edit

It has been pointed out that everyone might not know how to send me a link to a specific post. If you do not, then send me the link to the thread, and in your PM to me include the post # (such as #1, #16, #23 etc) of the post you'd like to nominate.

And again, you are not nominating the thread. You are nominating a specific post !

Kelly Capone and stevo@63 like this.
  4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Sounds like fun :)

Mike Drop likes this.
  5. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

How about

How about~USEFUL!:loud:

6. GDJMSP

Just so you know folks, only 5 posts have been nominated. One of them has 2 nominations but that's it.

And it does not have to be a new post, you can nominate old posts if you wish.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Kelly Capone likes this.
  8. snaz

snaz Registry fever

I was a little perturbed by the guy who wrote the counterfeit 09 S VDB thread... I wrote one, then he used my photos to write another one... And no credit for the photos.

9. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Actually, no he did not. You can only nominate a single post. The post I nominated is by blue_oxen. Later in the same thread mycohopper used your picture.

10. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Same difference in my book.

11. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

I am not trying to condone anything done to your picture, but why are you trying to punish the op (and all who can use the thread) for something done by someone else? I have no idea how Doug is going to run this, but it is only the single post that gets nominated.

12. snaz

snaz Registry fever

Punish?? Whoa whoa whoa, no punishing here. Just saying that the polite thing to do would have been to give credit where credit is due.

13. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

This brings up an interesting subject. Multiple posts about the same subject or similar. As everyone knows many subjects are repeated only in different ways due to new members not aware of the previous ones.
    Example are things like "should I clean my coins?" or "Is there a list of on line dealers?" etc.
    In this present problem it appears there are more than one posting about a 1909S VDB counterfeit so isn't there some way to put them together? Make one place or primary topic for similar or repeditive topics?
    And in some posts that do drag on and on, along the way possibly on a third page someone else also produces fantastic or very informative information. Such after thought types could also be clipped out and placed in the primary topic sector of that subject matter.
    Even my reply here could be considered.:goofer::smile

Kelly Capone likes this.
  14. GDJMSP

I am very pleased to announce that we have our first official winner of The Clinker Award. For those of you are unfamiliar with the origin of this special award, you can read about it here - The Clinker Award

Now on to our first, and I hope the first of many, winner - Treashunt ! Congratulations Frank ! It is well deserved.

The post that wins the award is this one - http://www.cointalk.com/t107494-2/#post886845

It was nominated by the following members - PennyGuy, FreakyGsMom, jloring, Duke Kavanaugh, vipergts2, financeman

Now for those who still don't know how to go about nominating a post for this award, you can find out how to do so here - The Clinker Award - is back !

Now this thread will be closed, members will not be allowed to post here. Only posts announcing additional winners will be posted in this thread. It is a place of special honor for those who make a post that is deemed worthy of such recognition by the members of this forum.

If you'd like to discuss the awards or offer conratulations, then please feel free to do so in the Coin Chat section of the forum.

Kelly Capone and Tlberg like this.
  15. sunflower

sunflower New Member

16. sunflower

sunflower New Member

Can I nominate another?---- Ricky B.

Security Engravers Group, Presentation Guidelines
    Hello everyone:

I am very surprised that there was little response to my last Thread.
    So with what was voiced here is a Guideline that I have established for all future presentations.

These guidelines are simple and non-restricting except within the established rules of CoinTalk Forum set forth by the Administration.

Giving considerable thought to the name of the Group, I see no reason why we should set change to that name, therefore the set of guidelines establishing the methods and principals for your presentations.

I am sorry to take this into my own hands but as the New Year draws near, I felt it to be so. Impeach me if you will..it shant not matter to me.

I would like your feedback on these guidelines as they are ammendable as are all established regulations/rules. I will ask that this be attached as a "sticky" for all to review and abide by.

**Members** Please post your approval or otherwise to acknolwedge this posting.
    Sincere regards,

RickieB

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t85393/#ixzz0qyRbGFo8

17. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

18. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Do you have a relationship with that individual? Maybe a spat or something?

19. snaz

snaz Registry fever

No, we had never posted in the same thread... As far as I know.. I actually hadn't noticed his name on the board.. But this is getting out of hand. I really REALLY have no problem with it.. it just irked me a bit when it happened.. As long as someone learned from his thread that's all that matters.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  20. lenco12

lenco12 New Member

And it does not have to be a new post, you can nominate old posts if you wish.

Kelly Capone likes this.
  21. daviddwilson

daviddwilson New Member

I am not trying to condone anything done to your picture, but why are you trying to punish the op (and all who can use the thread) for something done by someone else? I have no idea how Doug is going to run this, but it is only the single post that gets nominated.

Read more: http://www.cointalk.com/t107642/#ixzz1287Eifu2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.