The Buffalos are coming...

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by taz, Jul 11, 2008.

1. taz

taz devilish for coins

http://www.usmint.gov/pressroom/index.cfm?action=press_release&ID=917

Proof One Ounce
    $1,199.95

Proof Half Ounce
    $ 619.95

Proof Quarter Ounce
    $ 329.95

Proof Tenth-Ounce
    $ 159.95

Proof Four-Coin Set
    $2,219.95

Uncirculated One Ounce
    $1,059.95

Uncirculated Half-Ounce
    $ 539.95

Uncirculated Quarter-Ounce
    $ 289.95

Uncirculated Tenth-Ounce
    $ 129.95

Uncirculated Four-Coin Set
    $1,959.95

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

130 for a tenth oz when gold is 965/oz. !!

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

No thanks. Too much for bullion.

5. Hobo

Hobo Squirrel Hater

But, but, but . . . you might get an MS-70. And you know what that's worth, don't you? (Bullion. Maybe more to those infatuated with the MS-70 label.)

6. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Heck they might feel generous and give you a MS-71 , it would be worth millions !
    rzage

7. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

:yeah: ill buy a 4 coin proof set

8. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I;d love to buy some but they are well overpriced for gold right now. The mint shouldn't be in the business of gouging the millions of collectors that want their products. I know that they are the largest coin dealers in the world but, JEEEZE, give us a break here on precious metal coins.

I'll have to be content with my '06 Gold Bullion Indian/Buffalo Proof that I just love to look at.

Bruce

9. Booner

Booner Member

At those prices I hate to say it, but I'll probably order one of the quarter ounce ones. Trying to keep my wife interested in the hobby and she's working on a Buffalo nickel set, so.....

But, then I may be able to finally get the 16-D Merc that I need!

10. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

Yay, I might be able to afford one of these now.

I think I'll get a proof half.

An ounce is too much for me to handle.

11. Aberlight

Aberlight New Member

I noticed in the press release that the gold buffalo coins are to come in a hardwood presentation case. I can see the Proof coming in a box, but do you think the Unc will come in a hardwood box?

The 1/4 is something I have been looking forward to and also the only coin I have bought from the mint since the 2006 platinum eagles.

Seen many of the 1 ozs.. Anyone seen any pictures of the fractionals?

From the mints press release it looks as if these will not have a mintage limit. Is this correct?

"Each coin is encapsulated in protective plastic and mounted in an elegant, custom-designed hardwood presentation case. A Certificate of Authenticity is included."

12. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

maybe i should get one set each but then again i am not going to abandon the gold spouse series

13. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

You could always just collect the proof fs, then in ten years you could give the set to me as a gift so that I could have a comeplete set! :D That way you could collect both proof and unc buffs.

14. AUBU2

AUBU2 Senior Member

"From the mints press release it looks as if these will not have a mintage limit. Is this correct?"
    I was wondering about the mintage limits also. The 2007 proof buffalo originally had a 200,000 limit, but less than 60,000 were actually sold i think. So now there will be three one ounce buffalos for 2008? The new proof & uncirculated, plus the bullion coin with no W mintmark that are only sold through dealers?

15. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

That is exactly how I understand it.

16. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Well let's see, that's $96.50 worth of gold, so that's a premium of about 34 dollars, or about a 35% premium. Think the box is worth that? Um think I'll probably pass for now...

17. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

someone get him his medicine before its too late :D

18. modernman

modernman New Member

So, there will be 3 different 1 oz. 2008 Gold Buffalos?

2008 Proof w/ "W" mint mark
    2008 Unc. w/ "W" mint mark
    2008 Bullion w/ no mint mark

Where does the 2008 Gold Buffalo Celebration coin fit in? Is it just a 2008 Bullion in a fancy red box?

19. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

FYI, these are all over-priced. Just do the research, and you'll see it. The Mint is taking 10 points on the uncirculated dollar, while everybody else is marking it up at 5. And it gets worse as you go down from there. But then, this is the one and only United States Mint, if that's any distinction.

20. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

I think most of us who are interested in owning these sets realize all of this. This has become an ugly truth about buying through the mint. AGEs, APEs, Buffs, First Spouse coins - they are all over priced and cost more than the average market price of gold. I have stopped buying these coins with the hope that they will have some "numismatic" value and buy them because I like the coins.

21. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

You know how NGC now grades "sets" in multi-coin holders.... Wouldn't this be a great set?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted