Thanks For All Your Help!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by poockie, Oct 20, 2002.

1. poockie

poockie New Member

I have a 1989 penny that is silver thru the center and copper on both sides. Can this be a penny stamped over a dime? The copper on both sides of the coin has some wear wear the silver is showing. How can I find out if this is authenic and what value it may have. Thanks, Mary

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions!!! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bullionbound

Bullionbound New Member

I think what you are seeing is the zinc core of the penny. The copper is just a coating (I can't recall when they stopped using full copper planchets) and it is either likely worn off or not applied correctly at the mint. I would not think that it has any value.

4. mbbiker

mbbiker New Member

I don't think it is worth that much but if you really want to know send it to a grading service, (i wouldn't do this but if you really want to know and have 20 bucks to waste go for it)

5. Jess

Jess Senior Member

1982 was the last year for copper cents, if anyone is interested there are 7 different type cents for that year. 3 copper PDS, 3 copper coated zinc PDS and a proof coated zinc. I personally believe the zinc is showing thru, usually means the coin was not cleaned well before the plating process.

6. craton

craton New Member

Re: 1989 silver and copper penny

As Jess stated, all post 1982 cents are copper plated zinc. Your coin is a normal coin only with what sounds like an exposed rim probably due to wear. Take cany post 1982 cent and file the rim down or you can even scratch the surface with a nail or whatever and expose the zinc core.
    Jason Craton

7. poockie

poockie New Member

Thanks

Thanks to everyone who took the time to answer my questions!!! :D

Draft saved Draft deleted