Thai clay coins?????

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by chilli, Sep 16, 2009.

1. chilli

chilli Junior Member

Hi All,

I am finding my way around the Forums now. I originally put this in the What's it worth section, I am not really interested in a price , just want to find out what they are.

I have been meaning to find out about these 2 clay coins for the last 22 years.
    I cannot find an exact match anywhere but Thai clay coins seem the nearest I could come up with.
    I bought them in an old shabby/smelly antique shop in Changmai Thailand 22 years ago. I actually bought a quite a few items (cheap as chips) from the shop including fake opium pipes and some real ( they were stopped in customs when shipped). Also some head dresses , elephants jaw bones and lots of niknaks for my job as a food photographer.

There was a bowl that contained about 30 of these "coins" and I added them to the rest of my purchase.
    When the old lady got to the bowl she shook her head and indicated that they were going to be more than all the rest of my purchases put together.
    Now I know the old ruse of pretending that something is worth a lot to sell it but the old lady (who spoke no English) seemed more than happy with me buying just 2.

They were about £2 (approx $4) each.

A few years later I remember seeing something like in the Museum at the Grand Palace.
    I have seen some of the clay coins on the net and they are the nearest thing to them, pre-Sukothai era. About 1300
    Doubt if I am lucky enough to have 2 of those!
    The only other idea is that they are similar to the Thai metal gambling tokens but these are not metal.
    Any ideas on what they are?

Cheers
    Chilli

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. magicman58

magicman58 Junior Member

hi my friend .it ancial old thaicoins i will id it
    1 . it use during last aryutaya when shell not have enough so they use clay for exchange but use during short time .
    2. i think it call tok coins yes you right it use in changmai only
    3. i am no idea too

good luck from THAILAND

4. chilli

chilli Junior Member

Brilliant

Sawadee Kap.(sorry cannot spell in Thai script)

Thank you Khun Magicman58
    Well, that made my day,

thanks again.

If any one can let me know where I can find pictures of similar coins that would be great.

Many thanks
    Chilli

5. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Love those Thai coins...Clay, that is a new one to me. live and Learn. Here are some coinage of His Majesty Rama V. Mid 19th to Early 20th Century. Traci :eek:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. magicman58

magicman58 Junior Member

hi Ripley first your coins it fake coins and i sure it from thailand
    this coins have a lot of fake coins in thailand and it hard to know real and fake in this coins and another i think it real coins

7. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Thanks magicman, I am an amateur and get burned once in a while. Live and learn. Rawang !! Traci :eek:

8. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

Chilli...I will just let your post speak for itself. PS I am a lady. Traci

Draft saved Draft deleted