Test your grading skills -1900-0 Morgan

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Bedford, Oct 1, 2006.

1. Bedford

Bedford Lackey For Coin Junkies

Here is a very nice 1990-o morgan I got back a few months ago . Lets see what you all think NGC graded it as -

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

MS-64/65.

NGC"s pictures are really pathetic. Do you actually have to pay for photos?

4. Bedford

Yes I did - cost $3 , this was the first time I actually decided too . I think they stink also.

I left my camera at work so I ll take better pictures on Monday.

5. zaneman

zaneman Former Moderator

looks like a 65 to me. I wouldn't go any higher, as the luster seems impaired, and the marks in the obverse field hold it back. The luster may simply be the pictures.

6. b.j.

b.j. Senior Member

I would also say MS-64 or MS-65.

7. Burks

Burks New Member

That's the first NGC photos I've seen. Not too bad I guess....I've seen worse.

I'd say MS65. The obverse is very attractive.

8. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

MS-65 or 66, great looking coin. Thanks for posting it :)

Ben

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

ms-64, those pics suck

10. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

The photos are the pits---but MS65.

Speedy

11. Clinker

Clinker Coin Collector

I think they would grade it MS61/MS63. Most third party grading companies won't give a MS65 grade to any coin that doesn't display a mirror surface or a proof-like appearance.

Clinker

12. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I'll say MS65, and I'm sorry Clinker, but I think you're wrong on that one.

13. Bedford

Yes I totallly agree that the pictures suck . The coin actually graded out at MS66. I still havent taken any better pictures but here is a bad picture I took with a cheap camera.
    Personally I thought it would have graded out at MS67 , but you will have to wait for a good picture to see if you agree. Just for craps & giggles Im sending it to PCGS to see what their opinion is.

Attached Files:

14. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

Wow! Lusterwise, that looks like a totally different coin between your and NGC's pictures!

15. Foster dollar

Foster dollar Coinguy

MS 65+

Michael "Foster Dollar" Foster

16. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

The pics are a bit better if you click 'em twice.From my own experience,such as it is,it looks like NGC directs the light straight on the coin to bring out the maximum detail but this also obliterates the luster factor.ANACS used to do the same thing on their old pre-slab certification cards.
    Here are three examples,side lighting,front lighting,ebay lighting.;)

Attached Files:

17. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

Just curious. When you send it to PCGS are you looking for a crossover at the same grade/or above or are you cracking it out and sending it raw ? Thanks.

18. Bedford

I cracked it. It seems to me that no matter how unbiased a TPG says they would be on a crossover or upgrade I just dont believe it. I want to try to get a higher grade so I want it to be "original " to them . Just my personal opinion but I think it has a better chance going in raw.

19. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

Be sure to keep us posted on the PCGS results. I agree with you 100% on not trusting the so-called unbiased TPG crossover grading. Good luck.

20. Bedford

Shes back -

Well , no upgrade. She came back MS66 from PCGS. It was worth a try on this one. Sorry for the bad picture ,I still havent gotten a new camera.

Attached Files:

21. 09S-V.D.B

09S-V.D.B Coin Hoarder

That coin must be a lock 66 for both PCGS and NGC to agree on the grade. I wouldn't be too disappointed about no upgrade, after all, it's probably worth more in PCGS plastic :thumb:

Draft saved Draft deleted