Swiss 1939 Golden Alpa Rosa

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by grovesmuk, Dec 5, 2003.

1. grovesmuk

grovesmuk Junior Member

Hi people, i have 2 gold coins given to me by the grandfather,but i know little of them, or what there worth.

All i know is there called "Alpa Rosa" one was minted in 1939 and the other in 1946, there swiss, and gold.

I have also been told the following, though i am not sure if its true or not:

They where given to soldiers as a reward for bravery, this ties in with my granddad being a general in the swiss army.
    They cost £20 each in 1939.
    They are made from the gold the swiss stole from the germans, which was originally stolen from the jews by the germans.

Ive taken the coins places to be valued but they all seem to know nothing of them or there value! I have searched the web for info and found nothing, am hoping someone on here knows something about them, there history and approximate value? They have never circulated, they are in perfect condition and still in the original presentation boxes.

Any info would be great, especially if there worth any money so i can add them to the house insurance. Please help!

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Howdy grovesmuk - Welcome to the Forum !!

I have never heard of Swiss gold coin such as the one you describe. But based on your description it sounds it may have been a medal and not a coin. Can you perhaps share a pic with us so that we may help you identify it ?

4. grovesmuk

grovesmuk Junior Member

ill try and sort out a pic tonight ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted