Storage.... ???

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Machiavelli, Sep 20, 2004.

1. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

Sitting down reading some coin books not doing much else figure I would just strike up a convo... So were do you guys store your coins... you have a whole room just for your Numismatic purposes? or a cupboard? I myself have a small safe that is getting packed... I have often thought about purchasing a gun case the full metal practicaly like a safe ones and buy shelfs for it to place my coins... what all do you guys and gals use? shoe boxes? fill me in :D and while your at it you can talk about the coins you collect...

I myself am currently collecting Morgan Silver Dollars... this is my main collection once I complete it I most likely will start on Lincoln Pennys and Jefferson Nickels... of course I will be doing a simple pocket change verson of the collection as I dont have the funds to purchase mint ms 60+ of all the coins lmao... :p I have often thought about mercury dimes later on in life.. as I know they can get pretty expensive for the older ones... In the mean time I will continue to collect my Morgans and my state quarters... not much to do on the state quarters though as I get the new one as it comes out unc and in a air tite that I can put in my state holder... nice deal ... until I finish my Morgans I will still be collecting wheaties and pre 1965 silvers... what are most of you working on at the moment??

Mach

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hello Mach

Storage of course depends on circumstances, Here In new Mexico, we have a low humidity at least most of the time, so I store some coins in 2X2's and the red boxes that are designed for them, this is where most of the lower grade coins live, but for my more priceyer pieces I have a safe and those are in airtites, or pre slabbed by an independant grading company.

As for preferences I prefer the Mercury dime, but I collect all denoms, as I come across them.

Reading is a good past time!!!

4. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hello Mach

Storage of course depends on circumstances, Here In new Mexico, we have a low humidity at least most of the time, so I store some coins in 2X2's and the red boxes that are designed for them, this is where most of the lower grade coins live, but for my more priceyer pieces I have a safe and those are in airtites, or pre slabbed by an independant grading company.

As for preferences I prefer the Mercury dime, but I collect all denoms, as I come across them.

Reading is a good past time!!!

5. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Hmmmmm double post ??? interesting ,I have no Idea how that happened.

6. jody526

jody526 New Member

How do I store my coins?
    Well if you can think of a way, then I probably have at least a few stored that way. LOL

What do I collect?
    Well, Jefferson nickels are my main interest, but I also collect US Type coins, Merchant Tokens from my local area, Commemorative Medals that have a Virginia theme, and just about anything else that I find interesting.
    I've got a lot of Paper Money, World Coins, and Moderns, but I wouldn't really call myself a collector.

7. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Low humidity and room temperature are the key. Unlike the weather in New Mexico, we have the complete opposite in the South when it comes to the humidity.

I keep most of my coins in my safe with silica gel (moisture absorbing) packets. The safe is under normal A/C and room temperature conditions. For low grade coins, I store them in normal 2x2's in a 3 ring binder.

For the good stuff, I use the Intercept Shields. Read about them here...

http://www.interceptshield.com/

I have searched and searched a number of coin protection products and as far as I can see, nothing comes close for coin protection.

Also, there are Intercept Shield lined individual and tray boxes that offer addtional protection.

[​IMG]

Sonically sealed slabs, for me, offer a "professionally" 3rd party graded opinion (hence "certification"), coin display, and protection.

From what I heard recently with NGC certified slabs, they are both sonically sealed and air tight.

However, ICG is the only slab/certification company that offers the Intercept Shield for their slabs. The charge is only $3 more (total $18) per coin and in my opinion, well worth it...considering your coin may be worth hundreds or thousands (I wish) of dollars!

I prefer Lincolns, especially the early reds and keeping them red is important for me. The differance between a early RED versus RED/BROWN is serious dollars for Lincoln collectors in MS state. Otherwise, I love Silver Eagles and Morgans. Can't say I have a lot, but it all starts with the first Morgan my grandfather gave me.

8. jody526

jody526 New Member

But Ed, I thought you kept your stuff in fishing tackel plastic holders, with gold foil tape to hold them shut.

Hmmm...

Maybe that's sombody else. LOL

9. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

Those are my "buddies" at Star Grading Service...

You have to love the fishing tackle plastic and gold foil...especially the MS70 or PR70CAM grades (99% of the time!)

[​IMG]

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To see the types of coins I collect - just pay a visit to the World & Ancients Forum here on Coin Talk and look for my posts ;)

Ya never know - you might decide you like world coinage :eek:

11. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

hehehe GD ive always liked world coinage but alas I dont have the funds to purchase them... my goal is to eventually have both world and us coinage in a beautiful display room... of course it will take alot of time... I like the old ancient roman coins ive seen I also like some that you have posted there beautiful maybe later when I have the funds to purchase such raritys (in my book there rare) but in the mean time i will be forced to stick with pocket change and the coins i recieve for christmas I do have one Pieces of Eight dated 1784 however this is when america was using spanish or other foriegn coinage, as the american mints were infints then. I still find it beautiful even though its not of the best quality... I suppose the beauty is that I own it and can look at it... I dont however know how much it is going for.. if you could maybe find out.. as neither red book nor krause coins and prices has this coin in it...

it says on the obverse:

Dei Gratia Carolus III 1784

and on the Reverse:

Hispan Et Ind Rex M (with a circle above it(mint mark???)) 8R R F M

I will try to scan it later so you can have a visual representation

Mach

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I dunno Mach - you might want to take another look at world coinage. As a general rule - it is multiples cheaper than US coinage. You wanna get more bang for your buck - world is the way to go ;)

I look forward to seeing your columnario - one of my all time favorite coins !! I'd be happy to give you my opinion ;)

13. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

Ed I really like those coin holders they are much better looking and I can tell alot easier to maintain then round air tites... pretty soon I will be needing bulk order of them in all shapes and sizes heheheh... I will need to scout around see if i can get them for cheep :D

14. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

GD I will try and collect world coinage after I finish my morgans, 9 more of them babys until im finished !!! all atleast a minimum of MS63 from pcgs after that I will price some of the ones I feel I would enjoy having... Be sure to check your pms ill be asking about em alot :D

15. Pennycase

Pennycase New Member

Storing mah coins: By Cody. :D
    Well, I have an entire room to store my coins, which is also the computer room, chat with friends, look at coins at the same time...
    My desk is usually used for looking over coins under a lamp n a loop and whatnot, and also for laying coins out that I have yet to put in some type of 2x2 or plastic tube, airtite, etc etc....
    I keep most of all of my coins in albums, in 2x2's, I have found that this is a cheap, and very safe way to store them, even my high grade coinage, I picked up some of my storing methods from my dealer, who has shown that in the area we live in, 2x2's are an excellent method of storing coins. I keep all of my proof coinage in air tites, and are stored in a brinks safe, which is rarely closed and locked ( i've got some nice, rather large locks on my coin room door)
    Another safe, custom made by a guy here in town, holds all my other mint state coins, and my albums, and a large sum of 2 dollar bills in sequence that I am keeping just to see what the price does on them in about 50 years when I decide to retire or something.

What I collect:
    I collect whole lot of everything that is U.S. and pre 1970.... I have a large hoard of jefferson nickels, a large hoard of wheaties, and a large hoard of possible errors goin on, that are simply placed in a chest the size of a small cars trunk ( if anyone ever steals it, at least I have the satisfaction of knowing they had to use 6 guys, and still popped blood vessels, and their tires went flat on the truck they put it in from all the weight :D ).
    As for my main area of interest, and all my high grade coinage, I collect any and all barber coinage, silver wartime nickels, fsb winged libery dimes, and bust coinage. When I first started collecting, I was into wheat cents, that has long since passed, and am fixing to sale my wheat cent collection to buy more coins that strike my fancy.... I'm weak hearted for toned high grade jefferson nickels, especially silver wartime nickels. That pretty much sums it up, I suppose. Ohhhh and I also collect numistic magazines, just so later on down the line, I can look back on what was going on in the coin world on a certain date....:D:D:D:D

16. Machiavelli

Machiavelli New Member

LUCKY DOGGGG... I would love a room just for coinage and antique collectables.. I am working out of a 12ft x 10ft room (MY BEDROOM) with a sentry safe that is hardly closed now (was for awhile) with 2 computers hogging up my space and some stuff on the walls... I have 20 quarter containers sitting on my desk were my keyboard should be right now.. and my keyboard is in my lap when i type.... sigh... ive got the bug.. I just need to get extremely organized... Much like you I have coins out of holders on my desk ready to get holders when ever I can get to a coin shop and buy em :) IM LAZY all this fresh and polluted suburban/city air...

HAHAHA I have a old cedar chest that to my knowledge should have around 50 2 dollar bills... and should have world fair coins in it from the seattle world fair... least to say I havent gotten to see inside it yet... tis my grandmothers.. she said i can have the 2 dollars and the world fair for my collection... its been 3 years since she has said it.. and still no results lmao... its allright though... prolong the great present unvieling... heheheh... christmas is comming up fast... maybe that will be my present :D

I can so picture 6 guys straining to throw a chest into the back of there truck... 600 lbs of coins rattling around inside.. them thinking its all gold.. open it up to find wheaties nickles and maybe some errors... I could see there faces... priceless :D

Mach

17. rugen

rugen New Member

Storage.... Silver & Clad Proof Sets???

Does anyone do anything special for the storage of Proof Sets? Since they are in the plastic holders, which I know are not airtight, should we be doing anything special to keep their luster?

Thanks, Jim

18. jody526

jody526 New Member

I have to assume that you are refering to modern Proof Sets, right?
    Room temperatures and low humidity should work just fine.
    Don't worry about the acrylic cases not being air-tight.
    Oh yeah, as long as the coins' surfaces aren't altered or defaced, the lustre should remain intact.

19. Chapdog

Chapdog New Member

Bump...

Just got a much bigger Gun Safe for my collection and had a related question. It's lined with a fuzzy synthetic grey "carpet" as is the single shelf provided. I need to make 3 more shelves and I thought I'd check here to see if there is something I should/could line the shelves and walls with before moving my collection in to it from my smaller all metal safe.

Most of my coins are in Dansco albums, some slabbed and plenty in binders too. I've had some of these coins for 40 years and as someone above mentioned am currently trying to fill out my Lincoln set with 64+ Reds. These seem the most suseptible to the environment and I don't want to blow it.

Any suggestions?

20. sylvester

sylvester New Member

I think GD has being awaiting my answer... :D

21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

I store everything in SAFLIPs. I heat-seal them and keep the flips in Whitman blue boxes.

Draft saved Draft deleted