Stolen Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tmoneyeagles, Oct 12, 2009.

1. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Don't know if anybody has made a thread on this yet, but there were some coins stolen from Julian Leidman, a coin dealer and member of Collectors Universe

Here are some links:

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=743407&STARTPAGE=1

http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=743438

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Of course this is not a good story to hear and we don't yet know all of the details, but glad to learn that Julian wasn't present and that he is ok.

That said, this should serve as a reminder to all collectors to never leave your coins unattended in your vehicle. I know my insurance policy strictly forbids this and I'm sure most other policies do as well.

Hope all is recovered of course.

4. tmoneyeagles

Seems that the reward has been raised to $17,500

5. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

one of the bad things about coins, is they are tougher to track when stolen. note have unique serials... coins... unless there are only 5 in existance...

good luck to the owner getting the coins back.. and may the theif rot in heck :)

6. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

There is another post on it here: http://www.cointalk.com/t73749/

I posted some links to security tips there. I hope everyone reads them and heeds them.

7. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Yeah, thanks for those articles. It motivated me to get removed from the mailing list of 3 different places that have been sending me unsolicited catalogs every other week. May as well put a sign on your front door. You buy something and your name goes on a mailing list. This was something I had been wanting to do for some time. Finally decided to do it after reading the article. After my subscription to Coinage is up, I'll probably let that lapse too. You just never know who's watching.
    I opted to get the Numismatist online. Then you don't have a stack of magazines to deal with either. Works great.

It's well known that postal workers know by memory what's coming and going from which houses on their route. Especially in smaller towns. Then you never know what might come up in their casual conversations to others or who might be listening in.

8. tmoneyeagles

Whoops! Didn't even see that! I was looking for a thread with this same info, guess I didn't look hard enough.

9. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Makes me wonder why we still don't have public hangings.

10. tmoneyeagles

Seems as though the reward has been raised to $49,500, and still no tips on where they are or who took them

11. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Always have some one you trust before and after a show to be on the look out as well. With that many coins and valuable collectibles, never leave them unattended.

Another thread was also started here:

Stolen Coin Alert at Cs

12. Breakdown

Breakdown Member

This makes me ill. I live fairly close to where this occurred and will keep my eyes open at any local shows I attend. But it sounds as if Julian suspects this was orchestrated by someone following him from CoinFest in CT and waiting for a chance to steal when he stopped so it probably wasn't a local.
    Hope it turns out okay -- no one deserves this and certainly not someone who has been such a open promoter of the hobby by posting on forums and going to so many shows.

13. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have one question. Where was Julian?

14. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Wow.. what's up with all these dealers losing their inventories to thieves. This is like the 3rd time this month I heard something..

15. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It stinks... but IMO to leave that kind of stuff where someone could swipe them like that... he should have known better.

16. tauferners

tauferners On a quest for knowledge

This is truly very unfortunate, and so many things disturb me about this incident. Mostly the amount of evidence needed to prove gulit IF the thief is ever found. Either a very clever criminal knowing the factors involved will likely result in little more than that of a shoplifting offense, or pure dumb -luck?- for the lack of a better word coming to mind right now. Unfortunatley this is what our legal system has become. And don't even get me started on the headaches I am sure Julian is going to have with his insurance company.

17. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

A quick search would have turned this one up.

18. tmoneyeagles

Yes hontonaii, that has already stated, and doesn't need to be stated twice. I scanned through the forums for a robbery, and couldn't find one, so I started my own, and I have already saw that there was another thread on it, as it was brought to my attention earlier.

Draft saved Draft deleted