Steve Kaden

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Peter T Davis, Jan 19, 2006.

1. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I just got a note saying Steve Kaden (catman) has died.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. The_Cave_Troll

The_Cave_Troll The Coin Troll

hmmm, too bad, he was a good guy. I won one of his contests on another forum. I'll miss his posts.

4. shatsi

shatsi Senior Member

I'm very sorry to hear this. Its indeed sad news. We will greatly miss him.

5. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Well---this is sad...I had a lot of good times and alot of good info from Steve.
    He was a gem when it came to coins...no matter if it was just asking a question....or buying coins...he was always there to help.

Speedy

6. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

Steve (Catman) was very kind and helpful to me. He provided JFK Half Dollars I needed for my collection and also got me started with wheresgeorge.com which is something I enjoy.

I never had the pleasure of meeting him, but I can judge the kind of person he was from his posts on coin forums.

I wish I would have had the pleasure and honor of meeting him, but I will remember his postings and always have good and warm thoughts about the sort of person he was.

May he rest in peace.

Gary Burke

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

God bless Steve.

8. SpiffyAllstar

SpiffyAllstar Member

Man...he was such a figure around here it just will not be the same. The best we can do is give a moments silence, raise a toast, and keep doing what we do. I, along with many here, considered him a friend. I hope he died surrounded by his lovedones and with no regrets.

In Pace Requiescat

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I never knew the Guy but it is always sad to hear of someones demise, my heartfelt condolences to his family

De Orc :(

10. rggoodie

rggoodie New Member

Steves legacy

Steve has left behind his cats, his brother and many friends he has made on the forum.

Steve will always be remembered for his knowledge, his wit, his love of coins, cats and getting the youth interested in coins.

Steve was a font of knowledge and enjoyed sharing with others.
    If anyone has any unfinished business with Steve, you may contact me as I am in contact with his brother.

His brother has asked that you all be thanked for your expressions of support and sympathy.

11. Speedy

Hey Richard
    I want to send a card to his Brother....did he live in the same house with Steve?...if not if you could PM me his address I'll send that right out.
    I haven't seen this posted on WINS so I sent a note last night but it didn't go through....so I tried again today...he had lots of friends there that aren't on the forums....I hope we can let them know too.

Spencer

12. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

My deepest sympathies to his family and friends. He will be missed...

Ben

13. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

I think it's a testiment to the way Steve felt about his friends in the online communities that his brother took the time to send us a note about his passing. I think I'll send his brother a link to this thread, so he'll know how many friends Steve had here, as I'm sure most of us won't have the opportunity to go to a memorial service.

14. rick

rick Coin Collector

I didn't know Steve very well, but I read a lot of his posts. He was a stand up guy... A lot of people will remember him.

15. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

Very sorry to hear this. Catman was an asset to every coin forum that he particiapted in.
    He will be missed.

16. KLJ

KLJ Really Smart Guy

Steve was a blessing to each forum he participated in, and I pray that God will give comfort to his family and friends at this time.

17. Speedy

I've serached for a obit on the web but couldn't find one....Steve was a great friend and a all around good guy...I never met him in person but have "met" him in many other ways....

(Catman) Steve M Kaden, 58. Born in Feb 12 1947 (always thought that was cool...same day and year as my mom)
    We as "family" I'm sure are shocked as much as I'm sure anyone would be at a time like this.
    Catman not only was a great friend to us....he was a helper/collector/giver/friend/and trader.
    I can remember writing him many times to ask what he thought of a coin I was watching....I didn't have his eye or his pocket book and many times that email would get me into trouble :)
    As a collector he loved coins--not only US coins but coins from around the world...I think his picks were 10 Yen coins/V Nickels and any coin/token with a cat or John Wayne on it.
    As a giver he loved to give coins to collectors young or old...and if he ever bought a coin that was damaged in someway that he didn't think was good--it was thrown in the trash so nobody else would ever have to get that coin.
    As a friend I'm sure we all have stories and tales to tell---his tales untold go back to when him and Mr Breen disagreed on something--more than likely Steve was right!!
    A friend is always there in thick or thin and I think we can all say that of Steve---if it was a question of grading...we were told to get out Photograde....if it was a question on where to send a coin for grading...we were told ANACS.
    Yes he was a friend---and a friend that won't be forgotten.
    As a trader...he was always willing to help someone out even if it meant that he got the "raw end" of the deal--always buying bags of Half Dollars and dollars from the mint just to spend them and to help the rest of us out with our collections for face value...even though it cost him over face value to just get the coins.

He had contest with every forum he was on...and those who partook in them know that they weren't always easy.

I know that we all will pray for and think of his brother...Conrad, but I know that not only his brother will miss him.....but everyone of us collectors that calls him a friend.

In less than I year I've known 2 great collectors die....they might not be great in the eyes of the Whole Coin World...and they might not have been well known.....but for me...that is all much better--they were a friend and what more can anyone ask for.

Speedy

cplradar likes this.
  18. I Palindrome I

I Palindrome I Senior Member

Sorry to hear about Catman.

Peace to his memory.

19. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

Well, it has taken me a day to post this thought. Yesterday when I found out, words just didn't seem to be available to express my thoughts and true effection for the Catman.
    We shared some real good times both in collecting coins and housing cats. Got a kick out of teasing him about his cats and he always had some come back that made all of us laugh. I can say that he is one person who I am proud to have known and I treasure being about to call him a friend.

I also know he had been sick for quite a spell and now he's past that and in a much better place, I'm sure. I'll remember Steve in my prayers and sit and wonder just how these decisions are made up above as to who to call home next. He was much too young to be checking out all ready. We love you Steve. [​IMG]

20. julzboi661

julzboi661 New Member

Steve was a great guy. The last thing he posted on WINS was "I'll see you guys in a week!"

It makes me shiver to think the ease we can be taken from this world.

God rest Catman, and may his soul be happy.

21. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Steve was someone I considered a friend. Sure, there were plenty of times when he and I did not see eye to eye on a given subject and over the years we had many a debate. But each and every one is remembered fondly by me and the memory puts a smile on my face.

With Steve, you always knew where you stood. He was never changing, always consistent in his beliefs and opinions. He was always ready, willing and able to help another, friend or stranger, in any way possible - and he would do so with a smile.

I shall never forget him. And when I think of him - this is how I will remember him. Steve is the one in the plaid shirt next to the lady.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted