Star Note

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by swick, May 3, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

I found my first "star note" yesterday in some change I got. I looked up the serial number on the "Star Grading" web site, and the 2003, $5.00, star note has a low printing number.....320,000. Where do I find out how much the bill is worth, if anything? I looked on E-Bay for some similar bills, but could not find any that were the same. Does anyone know where I can find the value of this $5.00 star note? Thanks to ALL, in advance!

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/f2003_q.html

take a look at that page, i dont see any stars that had such a low mintage.. this is one of the reason i dont use the star lookup page, its inaccurate.

One thing the star lookup page mint be showing is the print run... short print runs are only valuable for a select few .. those peeps collect by district, block, run, and possibly plate combos ... such collecting is pretty extreme and consists of LOTS of notes for a normal series print ....

4. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

the star note lookup is pretty accurate IMHO. it gives you a good idea to see if it is rare or not. what color was it? white, yellow?

5. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

How does it give you an idea if its rare??? You tpye in a serial, it shows red, yet 30 million notes were printed... thats not a very good indication at all.

But, to each their own... if you want to be misled, i got no qualms with that :)

6. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

what is the seial?

7. Coinlover

it gives me an idea if its rare or not because it gives somewhat of a guide to tell. if ita yellow or some different color, less than 640,000 were printed. if it is just white, more than 640,000 were printed. where are you getting the 30 million notes were printed it turns red? i have never had a problem with that. and if you have any comments about it, i can email my friend that made the site, and you can talk to him. why is everyone so uptight this week?

8. swick

swick New Member

COINLOVER,
    So sorry that I didn't get back to you sooner. The color on the "Star" page was RED. It said the run was 320,000 notes. I don't know what any of this means. I just saw a thread one time talking about "STAR" notes, and saved that "STAR NOTE LOOK-UP" page in case I ever found a STAR note so that I could look it up. By the way......WHAT DOES it mean??? LOLOL

9. swick

swick New Member

" why is everyone so uptight this week?[/QUOTE]"

must be something in the water

10. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

a 'run' of 320,000 notes means absolutely nothing!!! for the note to be worth anything, you need to know the total mintage for that note in that series. Print runs mean very little to very few... which is why i dont advertise using that site - it gives false hope.

11. xeno108

xeno108 New Member

my prize star is the ten dollar note with a run of only 9600

12. Coinlover

if you see that it is a different color than white, most likely you will go to another website like this one and see how many were really printed. <640,000 does not tell you much of anything, i agree, but if you go to that website, you can see if its a keeper or not? i save every star note i find because i never see that many. i tell people save all their star notes, unless they need the money. you happy now?:)

13. Coinlover

this will tell you everything you need to know about star notes.:hammer:

14. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

I agree, i keep every star note i find... but advertising a website that tells a person a note is rare when its not is just not right. The site gives how many notes were printed for that run .. but a series can have up to 30 or more runs. so if a run only had 640,000 notes printed, but the whole series for that district had several million ...

you asked where i get that several million were printed... i go here: http://www.uspapermoney.info/serials/
    which was also posted in my first response in this thread....

the creator of that site gets published reports from the BEP every month. I am not saying he is perfect and therefore he is not always right - but for me, i would deem a note is rare after i look at the TOTAL mintage. Other then web-notes, i dont know anyone who collects notes based on print runs. So telling someone a print run is RARE because so few were minted, while the entire series had a combined total from all its print runs hit several million ...

Maybe i can explain it like this -- You seem to know a bit about note collecting. I know some myself. Alot of peope we run into do not as much as we might, as well as some who know more. People whom we refer to the star site you advertise will see the note turn red - indicating the 'print run' had only a few printed. They do not know that a print run can be a very small percentage of the total notes printed for the district of that series. So they think they got a note worth big money, while in fact, they do not.

Now, even though i have never met anyone who collects modern notes by runs (with the exception of web-notes), i am sure some must exist out there somewhere. So with that, i am sure that there are some who sure that star site and know just how to use it, and just what the information means. But there are alot more that dont know how to correctly use that site, and dont know what the information it presents actually menas. Telling them the print run is rare without giving them the whole story IMO is like the shady Ebay sellers who dont give all the info or post clear pictures.

15. swick

swick New Member

SERIES 2003.....Serial # DL 03337365* $5.00 note

16. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Ok. I went to the uspapermoney link and looked up swick's note.

Please confirm that I'm reading it right.

According to what I see, there were actually 6,720,000 of the DL xxxxx star notes produced.

If you're looking for a low mintage 2003 star $5, then you want to find a note with a serial number of DC xxxx which had a total print of 640,000

Is this right? Thanks.

17. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

DL 096 00000 * is that last note printed for the DL block, so there could be as many as 9,600,000 notes. Yes, the DC block only had as many as 640,000 notes printed. That would be MUCH rarer than the DL block.

I collect all Stars, rarity to me only comes to play if i were to sell. I have never sold any of my stars, so i never had to look up rarity or value. and if i were to sell any of my stars, it certainly wouldnt be the rare ones lol

Draft saved Draft deleted