Spouses and coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by sweet wheatz, Nov 3, 2009.

1. sweet wheatz

sweet wheatz Senior Member

Just wondering, how many of you have spouses that doesn't understand why you collect coins. Mine could care less and often complains about my collecting habits.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Grbose

Grbose CoinSpace.com CEO

Ha yeah mine use too until I convinced her that I buy and sell using the same money (inital investment)

Funny story about 4 months ago she called me at work crying hysterically because there was $5,000 missing from out checking acct and she was sure I had bought some more coins until I told her, did you look in the savings, is it 5,000 higher? Her response sniffle sniffle oh. I had transfered it to the savings to collect the extra 1% LOL

4. biggiej

biggiej Member

OMG!! I was going to start a thread just like this. My wife of 31 years has now found my silver dollars an extension till check day. She knows that if she is a little short for cigarettes or such, the last few days before check day, she can pawn a couple of my silver dollars and then buy them back on check day. (No harm no foul!!!) She doesn't realize that she is killing me every time she does this and is really stretching my concept of my love for her and my love for my coins!!!:crying::crying:

5. chip

chip Novice collector

My wife told me, you earn the money, you can spend it on what you want to.

But I have heard so many stories of spouses turning in hubbys 134 morgan dollars to the bank, or cleaning the hell out of the coins before taking them to the coin store that I have prepared a survivors letter, in case the children do not want the old mans coin collection, and she needs some money she has the name of a trusted dealer who can handle the collection, along with instructions not to clean or use silver polish on the coins.

I would advise any collector to ask around and find someone trusty who will deal fairly with them in case they need to sell off the collection someday.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My wife and I have an understanding....she supports me in my collecting habits and I support her in her quilting, doll making, and crafting habits. However, she refuses to set foot in a coin shop or go to a coin show even though I'm forced to accompany her to Jo Ann fabrics.

On second thought, I really don't want her with me at the coin shop or show.....LOL

7. RoslynT

RoslynT RoslynT

Made husband a collector

I am the coin collector in the family and started dragging my husband to coin club meetings and to the coin store. At first he just sat there bored out of his mind until I bought him a few Buffalo nickels and then his son bought him a Dansco album -- now he is on the hunt to fill his album and actually is beginning to show some interest in the hobby beyond buffalos. Its much easier when both of you enjoy the hobby and we have some conversation about coins everyday whether its about what we are currently collecting or some new fact or interesting thing we learned about coins.

For the guys who are trying to get the wife interested - I recommend buying your wife a nice coin to peak her interest-- for the ladies why not get them interested in the American Silver Eagles or the American Gold Eagles if have more cash to spare? They are a beautiful coins that I think can be easily appreciated by ladies and the GAE can be put into a holder and worn as a charm for a necklace.

Another idea - we ladies are pretty sentimental, so I also recommend buying the wife coins with dates that have meaning - perhaps the year of their parent's births for older coins or the kids' births for more modern coins. This just might be the thing to get the wife interested enough to get her to go to the coin shop or show with you -- unless of course you don't really want her to know how much you are spending on coins!!:rolleyes:

8. dreamer94

dreamer94 Coin Collector

My wife doesn't understand why I collect coins. She doesn't complain, but she frequently makes fun of me. She's started to appreciate my collecting a bit more since the price of gold started to skyrocket and she realized that the stack of boxes in the closet might actually be worth a lot more than I paid for it.

9. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

My wife doesn't see the point in it. She says money is for spending, not collecting, and she does a fine job at spending I might add. I don't tell her what I spend and she doesn't ask, so everyone stays happy.
    Guy~

10. tribby

tribby Marathon Runner

My wife would be interested if there were a coin series with Matthew Mcconaughey, other than that she could care less... But since I've been collecting for over 35 years she doesn't bother me about it....

11. In real life I am very much like the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons...so it's a total non-issue for me ;)

12. skippy

skippy Senior Member

I've only been married a few years but been a collector for 21 years (since childhood). And what I done was once I felt I could trust her (about ready to marry her), I let her see most of the collection(s). In other words, to give here a heads up that if you marry me... you marry not only into the family but the collection(s) [habits] too. :smile

I'm good with my finances, so she doesn't mind when I spend say $40 on one coin. She'd rather me buy one really nice coin than quantity.

13. goossen

goossen Senior Member

I have no such problem, as she collects banknotes :)

14. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

50-some years ago she couldn't afford jewelry and I couldn't afford to divert coins from the spending pocket to the collecting pocket.

Nowadays, thanks to good habits and some fortunate employment/investing decisions, she can collect jewelry, I can collect coins, and we both can enjoy seeing the other's pleasure.

15. NMBSURFER1

NMBSURFER1 Junior Member

My wife is brilliant at esoteric stuff but arithmetic challenged which puts me in charge of all the finances and when you have been working a checkbook for thirty years you know "the ways" if you know what I mean.

16. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

Mine is glad to me enjoy something like this. She has been pretty supportive and trys to show interest. I push the limits with her sometimes, but all in all she is good. What's kind of bad is I have my daughter, her husband and new gran baby living with us for a while. He was a pilot got laid off and has decided to go back to school while living with us. Well they don't have much money right now and when I am talking about some purchase of a few pennies for hundreds of dollars, I wonder if they are thinking what they could do with that money, but they are very supportive.

Like others have said we have sacraficed a lot over the years raising the kids, putting them through college, getting them married and now we have some disposable income. I use to just go to Best Buy and get some "boy toys", but at least with the coins there will be appreciating value.

I saw somehwere that one of the ZZ Top guys collect coins. I could just see him bringing home a few hundred thousand dollars worth of coins and telling his wife, look at these 1909 S VDB coins I just picked up.

17. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

I told my wife, I earn the money, I can spend it on what I want to.

After a while, she joined me at a show. I had been working with $2.5 Indians for a while, so I looked at several dozen. I was looking at a group, all graded NGC MS61. She looked over my shoulder, so I offered her a peek... handed her a loupe and showed her how to use it.

She quickly noticed that some were distinctly better than others, even though they all had the same grade.

Even though she had zero book learnin', she knew a better coin when she saw it. Sometimes, it's wise to zoom out of all the micro-detail and look at the big picture, grading-wise. It's not just about knowledge; sometimes, it's just common sense. Don't get lost in the forest !

Now, she's interested in her own right, and we work together in many ways.

We're a match made in heaven ! :D

18. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

No one in my entire family on either side have any interest in coins nor do they care the least what happens to them after I'm gone. Now if those were guns, at least half of my relatives would be a lot more interested including my wife. She has her guns and I have mine. My Son and his wife, not so much for the hand guns but shot guns are really great. Coins are basically for shooting at as far as they are all concerned. I've been collecting coins for well over 60 years and with a substancial collection that will probably end up in a banks counting machine. My wife can work on cars, shoot guns, throw a knife as good as me but COINS? Nothing doing.

19. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

My wife has no real interest in coin collecting except to take a quick look out of curiosity at anything older (pre-20th century) I buy.

We both have a pool of money outside of our living expenses that we use as we wish.
    She likes to travel; I like coins (and stamps).
    What she DOES appreciate about my collections is that I can get money back by selling them. That's something she can't do with her travel.

And we let each other know if we are about to spend a larger sum for something.
    In my case that would be an expensive coin.
    In her case a trip OR the new sewing machine she bought.
    But passing this info back and forth is just a courtesy thing we do.

BTW, we've been married 40 years.
    I guess we're doing something right.

20. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

My wife loves coins.

My wife loves coins because coins are the reason I go to coin shows. She stays home. When I go to a show, she has the gift of a free day. My wife loves coins.:smile

21. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, I hear you mine is the same way and once in awhile when I see a high priced coin I really want. All of a sudden she sees a piece of jewelry that she can't live without. :D It's like a payback plan or something!! Spoils my shopping spree for sure. :secret:

Draft saved Draft deleted