Speshul Farthings :D

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moustan, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Moustan

Moustan New Member

I think these thingamaboabs were only intended for use in various colonies but nevertheless there are ridiculously small valued farthings.

The one I am predominantly aware of is the half-farthing which was produced 1828 - 56 (that's probably wrong but it was for 28 years I remember (not that I was there)) initially intended for use in the island of Ceylon (modern day Sri Lianka) an island off southern India but also used in Britain.
    These are pretty small coins, the one I've got weighs in at 2g (to the nearest g :S) and were discontinued in 1869 (again, correcet me if I'm wrong please) and the ones issued in Ceylon haven't survived too well. This is mainly due to the salt air which heavily verdigrised the coins, much to the anguish of local coin dealers due to the modern value.
    I can't remember where I learned this info so I'm afraid I can't give a source.

There was also a rather peculiar West African coin called a tenth of a penny which if viewed in farthing terms would be a 2/5 farthing. Made out of tin or silver (I honestly can't tell rather worringly) these were issued with a dirty great hole through their centre.

Furthermore a third farthing was issued, I've never actually seen one of these in the flesh, as it were, but I've heard that they were issued for a year under the reign of Edward VII and for use in Malta. Not too sure about how true this is but I remember seeing one on ebay sometime over the rainbow.

Apologies for this rant but I was wondering if anyone could provide more info on the British West African 1/10d and/or third farthing. I've posted pics of the 1/10d and the 1/8d which are both in reasonable condition.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted