Specimens?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by byrd740, May 25, 2009.

1. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

I noticed that for Swiss 5Francs(KM# 40) and 2 Francs(KM# 21), some are labeled specimen. How can you distinguish between a regular business strike and a specimen?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

I can answer any question that you might have. In this case, the answer is "I don't know".

Very best regards,
    collect89

4. pennywise

pennywise Collector of dust

I found this...
    Specimen
    The word "specimen" simply means any individual item or sample used as representative to study or illustrate all examples of its type or class.
    From this, it follows that a coin specimen could be any coin of its type, date, or design, and not necessarily one with any special finish, or in any particular condition or grade. However, as mints have from time to time made sample coins available to individuals, whether mint officials, VIPs or collectors, it will often have been their practice to select a particularly nice sample, and perhaps even to produce samples prepared and struck with extra care and attention. It must have been a natural progression for these "sample" or "specimen" coins, to have acquired some form of nomenclature to differentiate them from their mass produced counterparts, and at some time in the past, the word "specimen" is the label which was applied to them.
    It follows from this that not all "specimen" coins or sets will be "proof" ones, but it does so happen that many of them are in fact what we would now classify as proofs.

5. regandon

regandon Senior Member

The following is Chester Krause explaination of a Specimen:
    Specimens are the forerunners of todays proofs. Double struck to produce soft or matte finish on the effigies and fields, along with high, sharp, wire rims. The finish is dull to the naked eye. I just wanted to add to what pennywise posted.

6. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

So basically from what I can gather, specimens are high-quality coins similar to proofs but could have a dull look similar to buisiness strikes. Thanks for your input, everyone! This information has really helped understand what a specimen is. I hope this thread also helps others.:D

7. regandon

regandon Senior Member

I know that the Swiss Shooting Thaler Specimens command a high premium.

Draft saved Draft deleted