Some Silevr Mexican Coins

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by A Mexican, Mar 16, 2009.

1. A Mexican

A Mexican Member

These are some of my Silver Mexican coins for you to look and enjoy. Regards from Houston.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

nice coins. are those rays coming from the eagle on the coin on the third photo? Does that match the dates of out seated liberty quarters and halves that have rays? Sorry so many questions, but I'm trying to learn a little here.

4. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

What's up with that second coin? Can you show the other side?

5. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

What are the dates on the third and fourth ones?

6. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

That third coin sure is a nice one. Could you post pics of the reverses/obverses too?

7. A Mexican

A Mexican Member

The other sides

Here we go, the other sides! I didn't think you could be interested on these coins that much. The rays in our coinage appeared in 1823, long before your designs bore them. As a matter of fact we have borrowed each other's designs forever in coins, and I am not just speaking for the US-Mexico perspéctive, but rather as humans/cultures.

Attached Files:

8. A Mexican

A Mexican Member

Ooops! I forgot one image. Here it goes

Attached Files:

9. FreakyGarrettC

FreakyGarrettC Wise young snail

These things have some sick die cracks! :D

10. Eduard

Eduard Supporter**

You have some very nice coins there. I specially like the 8 reales for Zacatecas, and the 8 reales 1840 Durango.
    Nice coins from a beautiful country!

Un saludo desde Alemania,

Eduard

11. byrd740

byrd740 Numismatist

And that is what makes them that much more beautiful in my eyes.:)

12. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Very interesting coins, a lot of Mexican history there, and those die cracks are great. Thanks for sharing the images.

13. A Mexican

A Mexican Member

Anytime! I do like die cracks and overdates very much, not my sole speciality but just a preference and a choice when I have the chance to make one. Here's another with cracks.

14. A Mexican

A Mexican Member

Another one

This is the coin, plenty of die cracks and die clash present. Nice coin with a great story.

15. Todd Volker

Todd Volker Member

It would be fabulous to have a Spanish milled dollar.

16. A Mexican

A Mexican Member

"Spanish Milled Coins"???

Hehehe, I am amaized on how the term of "Spanish Milled Dollar", "Mexican Dollar" or "Pilar Dollar" came to be in this country. In the Spanish-American realms they were known at the times as the "Worlds and Seas" coinage. Yet again, they circulated all over the world, so I guess the nickname is in place in several languages.

Attached Files:

17. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Nice 'mundos y mares'. Here is a reales fractional I picked up recently.

[​IMG]

18. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

A very interesting group of coins! :thumb:
    You may have noticed this already, but your 1840 8R might be an overdate--1840/39 perhaps?

[​IMG]

19. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Interesting that you refer to the USA and Mexico borrowing each others designs, because on Heritage the other day I saw a pattern coin from the USA dated 1853 with the cap and rays design.

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Guess that the Phrygian Cap with rays, as on that 1840 Mexican piece, has been used on many coins, emblems, etc. Nicaragua has been using that symbol of freedom in the CoA since the 1820s. Fewer rays though. :)

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted