Some Of The Dumbest Things You Have Heard Non Collectors Say About Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Coinlover, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

has anyone ever heard someone say something really dumb about coins or money in general? and when you try to correct them they think they know it all? i thought it would be interesting to see what you have heard others say. some of the things i've heard is "dollar bills have watermarks in them", "coins are still made with silver, but very little", "nickels are made out of nickel", and my favorite "mercury dimes are made out of mercury." so what riduclous things have you heard? :desk:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

I heard a buddy of mine Insisting that coins werent worth more than what the face value says. He was arguing with me. He couldnt understand that people collect them and couldnt grasp the concept that some are hard to find. I didnt bother to argue with him. The whole reason the conversation even came up, was because his mother was mad at him for loosing the coins that his grandfather had passed down to him. He told me that his grandfather left him a big bag of coins. He said they were worthless because most of them were 1 cent and half cent. He said he spent a handfull of them at the ice cream truck. Then most of them were gone so he skipped the rest accross a pond. He skipped them like rocks!!!!!!!

4. luc87

luc87 Lmcoins

1. the inner core of a toonie is made out of gold:goofer:
    2. it is insane to pay 60,000 dollars for a 1921 nickel:goofer:
    Thats all i heard.

5. Coinlover

Coinlover The Coin Collector

heck, i'd be getting the location of that pond and dive in! :eek:where is common sence in people?

6. DJP7x0s

DJP7x0s Sometimes Coins Arouse Me

I was thinking I should drive an ice cream truck too. How many half cents do you think it takes to pay for $2 ice cream, lol. But I bet the odds of little kids paying the ice cream guy with daddies old bills and silver dollars are pretty good.

7. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

I havent heard anything that stupid, but I was showing some coins to a friend - one of theme was a common Mercury dime, and he said "oh, thats worth a lot isnt it?" I told him no, probably a dollar. Then his dad saw them, and said the same thing, lol! I had to correct his dad too.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Nickels are 25% nickel. Does that count?
    Unless I am missing something, the watermark was added to the bills September 24, 1998.

9. adelv_unegv

adelv_unegv New Member

The worst I've heard 1st hand was from an uncle. About 8 years ago he told me he got a "penny" in change that didn't have anything on it - no design. He said he spent it right away to make sure he didn't get stuck with a penny that isn't worth anything. (I would have gladly given him a nickel for his blank planchet.)

It was a penny, for crying out loud. It wasn't the thought of losing a cent that bugged him, it was the idea of getting ripped off -- for a penny.

I have since explained to him that blank planchets are worth more than a cent.

10. tonedcoins

tonedcoins New Member

Some of my buddies at work make fun of me for collecting and studying coins. They say I waste my time searching for rare coins because they are just coins. I like to see their faces when I show them proof of that simple penny selling for over $30.00 lol.......

enjoy collecting everybody!

11. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I was managing the truck stop when the State Quarter program started. Heard a lot of stupid things. A lot of this was because the "main stream" media was actually mentioning them.

I rembmer a guy telling me some "error" was worth like $500. Told him it was worth a quarter until sold for more.

Had another guy tell me a coin was worth X amount of dollars and he ws SURE because Larry King (the radio and tv personality) said so. All I could tell him was that I'd been collecting for years, go to shops and shows and have NEVER heard anyone speak of Larry King the numismatist.

One of my favorites was when I gave someone a Delaware quarter in change and he literally threw it across the room because I gave him a "Canadian" quarter. I actually retrieved that quarter so I could show him the likeness of George Washington in front of all of the other customers and make him look the fool he was.

I also had a lot of truckers tell me horror stories about paying for their fuel with the "Big Head" design currency when it first came out. Seems a lot of places were refusing the "counterfeit" notes. That could be a real problem if you just put a few hundred dollars of fuel in your tanks!

12. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Two occasions stand out in my mind.

The first was when I asked a young teller in a bank if they had any half dollars. She had never heard of them and asked me if I meant dollars. When I told her no, I'm interested in half dollars, a strange look came over her face and she went to talk to the branch manager. I'm lucky they didn't call the police on me. Lucky for me the manager knew about them.

The other was when I brought a few of my morgans into a local coin shop to show the owner and give him a idea of the condition and toning I was interested in. His response was, "you should dip them."

13. dbblsanta

dbblsanta Member

Spending a Sacagawea dollar at the supermarket (a common 2000 date):

Cashier: You're really going to spend this?
    Me: Umm yeah.
    Cashier: You shouldn't they're going to be worth a lot of money someday.
    Me: The government makes so many of them that they'll never be worth more than a dollar.
    Cashier: OKkkk...

And of course there's all the stories about $2 bills that I've spent. Most of them went something like the above.

14. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

Someone I know who works at a bar had saved about 20 or so of the new Presidential Dollars. They knew I collect coins, so they asked me how much they could get for them. I said a dollar each and they got a bit peeved. They were convinced without a doubt that they were made of real gold, because so many people call them golden dollars, like they do the Sacs. She thought she was going to cash them in for big money. It was all I could do not to laugh.
    Guy~

15. clembo

Have you gone back to that shop? Think he's ever dipped a coin? Is it still in business?

That's scary!

16. Magman

Magman U.S. Money Collector

ohhh yeah, i remember one now.
    I went to Wendys and I got a small drink, came to 1.30 or something.
    So I paid with a 2$ bill. the lady said "oh I love getting these, we fight over them. I could probably sell it for 10$"
    I just looked at her and said "thats horrible"
    and drove off. lol

17. andy21us

andy21us Coin Hoarder

The best or worse one I'v heard was at a flea market, a vender had a jar of about 25 to 30 common cents most 40's and 50's. When I ask how much for the jar of conis he answered $10.00, and when I ask him why so much, he answered "because they are old and are worth that much money". With that reasoning I just put the jar down and walk away.

18. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

He's still in business. I don't go there anymore. I would guess that he dips just about everything silver, and he's pretty good at it. Everything in his shop is 'blast white' and apparently his customers like it that way since he doesn't hide the fact.

19. clembo

Ouch! That's even scarier!

Nothing like a blast white XF Morgan.

20. clembo

I have an old silver dollar

How could I forget this one that I'm sure many of us have experienced. My wife brought it up - think she's ever heard me talk about it.

I figure 99% of the time this refers to a Morgan (probably 1921) or a common date Peace Dollar.

"I have this old silver dollar and it's in "really good shape" - what's it worth?"

At this point I whip out my Greysheet, no matter where I am, and tell them "at least eleventy billion trillion dollars!"

21. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

And they probably think that you are cheating them!
    Sine they were thinking about threeteen billion trillion dollars.

Draft saved Draft deleted