Some 2005 ASE's are oversized

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by GDJMSP, Apr 8, 2005.

1. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

According to a statement issued by the US Mint some of the 2005 American Silver Eagles may be overweight.

Click Here

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

NEAT--

Maybe they will have adjustment like some of the old coins from the 1700's.

Speedy

4. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

Nothin' a low-carb diet can't fix. :)

5. Spider

Spider ~

low-carb= very bad for u

6. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

At least according to the low-fat industry PR machine.

7. coinokie

coinokie New Member

Big ol fat silver dollars

Just great, now all you will see at auctions is inflated prices cause people will say this is an over weight dollar so give me $10 extra.(anybody got a scale)Eh

8. coinokie

coinokie New Member

1.4 oz

I can just see it now, PCGS heavy duty 2005 silver dollars will skyrocket in price. Woae nelly, its gona git deep on the pocket book.

9. Illya2

Illya2 New Member

GDJMSP, Was it the proofs or the regular BU's?

10. GDJMSP

It was the BU - the Proofs are not sold by the tube.

11. mrsushi66

mrsushi66 New Member

and when I got that mint box of eagles I just thougt they were finally getting smart about making the lids fit snugger so you didnt have put anything in the tube to keep the eagles from bumping...man I should have kept all the rolls with lids that sat high...sigh...I could have been a millionaire....(NOT)...

Paul

12. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

All the eagles I handled in January were oversized but not to sure about whether or not it was weight, which I really doubt, or if they were quite simply struck to hard. Almost all of the quarters vary, from Denver to Philly, due to one mint's striking pressure which causes a higher rim as the metal is forced outward and up due to the strike. I don't think we have to worry about Uncle Sam putting to much silver in a one ounce eagle. Somebody probably should weigh a few (I can't, no scales readily available) but I would guess strike pressure is the culprit here.

13. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Someone recently (past month or so) posted a question about a SAE they had that was "thicker" at one end than the other. Had some good picts with the thread. I've been searching for it in the forum and can't find it. Can anyone else find it? It'd be interesting to have the coin owner to weigh this particular coin and see if it's a bit "heavy".

14. GDJMSP

THIS is the coin you are asking about. But that was something else entirely different.

15. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I thought it read that some COLLECTORS of Amercian Silver Eagels are overweight.

Anyway, I first suspected that some coins have a higher rim, but maybe some are also porkier than others.

I think that someone had said once that bullion silver rounds are often made to be an extra gram (or is it grain?) heavier than one ounce just to make sure the buiyer gets his full oucne worth. I think the Mint buys silver planchets on the open market, so maybe someone sold them the overweight ones used for many private rounds.

In any case, I would be far more concerned if some 2005 SEs were UNDERWEIGHT.

16. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

Spring cleaning

I seems that every spring this subject comes up around coin forums. Too heavy, too much weight on one end or another, or just plain should this or that be cleaned! Well, the most common answer to all this is let sleeping dogs lay, and never clean a coin. I think this should also applies to coin collectors, don't you?
    At any rate, this is what happens every spring:
    [​IMG]

17. lawdogct

lawdogct Coin Collector

Thanks GD, that would be the coin, and reason my searches for a 2005 SAE weren't getting me there ;)

18. tanner520

tanner520 Coin Lover

I'm glad this thread came along. I've been wondering something for a while now and this is the perfect opportunity to ask.

I collect rolls of Silver Eagles (one from each year) and I thought that maybe the Mint had shortened the tubes so the lid wouldn't snap complely shut, thereby allowing you to pop off the lid more easily. But I quickly realized that wasn't the case by doing a side-by-side comparison of the tubes so my only conclusion was that the 2005 Silver eagles were either thicker than the earlier years or had a higher edge. Anyone else know more about this?

One side note to the lid spacing, which keeps it from not snaping completely down to meet the top of the tube - it may make it easier to take the lid off but the round inner edge of the lid now sits on the coin itself. This causes scratches on the Silver Eagle where that inner part of the lid touches. BAD NEWS. :mad: I learned that the hard way...

19. GDJMSP

Did you read the article found at the link I posted ? That's about all there is to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted