Smithsonian collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by l.cutler, Oct 14, 2009.

1. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I just got back from a trip to Washington DC. The coins on display in the Museum of American History are simply astounding. Three 1804 dollars, a Brasher doubloon, 1913 Liberty nickel,1933 St. Gaudens, $50 Gold slug, 1776 Continental dollar as well as many others all in one case! Also an NE shilling, willow tree shilling, oak tree shilling and pine tree shilling in another case! If anyone has a chance to see this display you gotta do it, it is breathtaking.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I didn't think that was supposed to open until the end of 2010. It's not like the government to do things ahead of schedule.
    Guy~

4. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

OK so lets get a group together, purchase some glass cutters, special lock openers, a few guns in case and head for that place. You drive, I'll grab the coins, a few others distract the guards and away we go. :D

5. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

I couldn't believe the people walking past with hardly a glance while I had my face glued to the glass! I only saw one other man who seemed interested, particularly the 1804 dollars.

6. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I'm on the line with the FBI as I type this. :D
    Guy~

7. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

It was really cool to see most of those on display at the ANA show here in L.A. a couple months ago.

8. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

True. But every so often they do...

Attached Files:

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Nahhhhh - it really aint worth it. None of the coins will slab, at least not in anything except a Genuine holder. They've all been harshly cleaned and the value will be but a fraction of what it should be.

10. pappy-o

pappy-o coinoisseur

Wow would luv to check that out some day ; )

11. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Actually that is more common than you think. Many people go to places like this for just something to do. They are in the area, on vacation, a freind takes them there, etc. and they really just don't care. You can see them at the Zoo, Museums, coin shows, gun shows, flea markets and many other places. They just want something to do and brag about so they now can say they went there to all thier friends and relatives.
    A good example of this is there is one guy I have seen at at least 2 coin shows a month, walks around with his hands in his pockets, never buys anything. I've seen him at flea markets and he does the same thing there. At flea markets he runs over to any new sellers and watches what they open up, then just walks away again. He is rather noticable due to he always wears the same looking clothing and really needs a shave bad. I finally started talking to him and asked why he just walks around with his hands in his pockets at all theses places. His answer was he just doesn't want to buy anything, just look.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

You missed the MCMVII (1907) Saint-Gaudens Ultra High Relief.
    It's over in the "castle", the original Smithsonian building.
    I stumbled over it accidently.
    Walked into one of the showrooms and it grabbed my eye immediately.
    Captivating.
    Almost caused me to buy one of the modern ones, but I didn't. Rather have some nice old coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted