Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, 1965

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by cherylkubucko, Feb 25, 2009.

1. cherylkubucko

cherylkubucko Grandma Froggie

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill, KG, OM, CH, TD, FRS, PC (Can) (30 November 1874[1] – 24 January 1965) was a British politician known chiefly for his leadership of the United Kingdom during World War II. He served as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 and again from 1951 to 1955. A noted statesman and orator, Churchill was also an officer in the British Army, a historian, a Nobel Prize-winning writer, and an artist.
    During his army career, Churchill saw combat in India, in the Sudan and the Second Boer War. He gained fame and notoriety as a war correspondent and through contemporary books he wrote describing the campaigns. He also served briefly in the British Army on the Western Front in World War I, commanding the 6th Battalion of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.
    At the forefront of the political scene for almost fifty years, he held many political and cabinet positions. Before the First World War, he served as President of the Board of Trade, Home Secretary and First Lord of the Admiralty as part of the Asquith Liberal government. During the war he continued as First Lord of the Admiralty until the disastrous Battle of Gallipoli caused his departure from government. He returned as Minister of Munitions, Secretary of State for War and Secretary of State for Air. In the interwar years, he served as Chancellor of the Exchequer in the Conservative government.
    After the outbreak of the Second World War, Churchill was again appointed First Lord of the Admiralty. Following the resignation of Neville Chamberlain on 10 May 1940, he became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and led Britain to victory against the Axis powers.[2] Churchill was always noted for his speeches, which became a great inspiration to the British people and embattled Allied forces.
    After losing the 1945 election, he became Leader of the Opposition. In 1951, he again became Prime Minister before finally retiring in 1955. Elizabeth II offered to create him Duke of London, but this was declined due to the objections of his son Randolph, who would have inherited the title on his father's death.[3] Upon his death the Queen granted him the honour of a state funeral, which saw one of the largest assemblies of statesmen in the world.

Elizabeth II

2 Uncirculated GB 2009 coins to win from De Orc Contest

This one of the coins I got.

Obverse:
    The first (young) portrait of the Queen facing right, designed by Mary Gillick.
    ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F D

Reverse: A sombre-looking portrait of Sir Winston Churchill, in a siren suit.
    We are sure that Churchill himself would have been the first to admit that he was not pretty, his portrait on this crown is not exactly flattering. It is in quite low relief, and we believe it to be one of the least attractive British coins ever issued.
    Quite what Churchill would have made of our comments, we will never know, but this was a very popular coin issue at the time, and over 9 million were issued!
    CHURCHILL

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

Aside from its status as one of the very few coins with a head on the "tails" side, it has been voted "world's ugliest coin" on multiple forums!

4. cherylkubucko

5. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

6. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Couple of other points about Curchill :D His mother was a American (Jennie Jerome, born in Brooklyn :D )and guess who one of his distant cousins was? give you all a clue a rather prominent American politician LOL
    He was held prisoner by the Boers and escaped, he was considerd for the Victoria Cross due to his gallentry in the face of the enemy.
    JFK under authorisation granted by an Act of Congress, proclaimed him an Honorary Citizen of the United States :D
    When he died by Royal decree his body lay in state for 3 days and he was given a state funeral
    The Crown (5 shillings) in question is a 1st as it was the 1st time a Non Monarch appeard on a British coin

Oh his Cousin was Franklin Delano Roosevelt (7th once removed)

7. cherylkubucko

Thanks Steve for the infor. I like the history and the "world's ugliest coin" Cheryl

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I don't find that coin ugly at all. In fact, I think the design is bold and worthy of the man.

Ruben

9. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

There house in Brooklyn was on Henry Street in Cobble Hill, I believe, and has a plaque. I have a photo somewhere on this hard drive.

Ruben

10. cherylkubucko

It would be nice to see the house, when you get time to post it. Cheryl

11. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

will do. It is somewhere on http://www.brooklyn-living.com/

Rube

12. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

If FDR and Churchill were 7th cousins once removed, what was the relationship between Churchill and FDR's 5th cousin Teddy?

13. cherylkubucko

We will have to ask Steve on that one. I will try and find out. Nice to know these things, Cheryl

14. eddyk

eddyk New-mismatist

When I tell people my cousin (twice removed) is Robbie Fowler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_Fowler

They're not that impressed.

I assume because of the 'twice removed' bit...not because it's Robbie Fowler. :D

15. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

The relationship was on his wifes (FDR's) side of the family, so I dont think there would have been a connection between Churchill and Teddy

16. kidromeo

kidromeo I M LEGEND

I agree with Ruben. The coin in question is not at all ugly to my eyes even though I don't like Churchill.:goofer:
    Here is another coin on Churchill (Courtesy WCG)
    [​IMG]

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Agreed. I do not like the font that they used for the name "Churchill", but the reverse is well done and characteristic. Not exactly high relief, sure, but it is a good portrait. Guess this being the ugliest coin etc. is a myth - maybe because previous coins all had "royal" themes and because such commemorative coins were a pretty new concept for the UK back then?

Christian

18. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

One of the problems with the coin appart from the font is the actual portrait of the man it appears very weak and rather out of focus, compare it with the IOM coin shown, the coins that did make it into circulation appeared worn before they realy had.

19. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Artistically that is part of the coin I like. The outside blurs into the background and the image comes into greater focus in the front of his face, producing a dramatic movement and greatly symbolic imagery. Frankly, I think the coin is a masterpiece, one of the most brilliantly designed pieces of all time and it might well be one of the true great pieces of British art, not just coins. It is a bold and fantastic piece of art.

Ruben

20. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I'll have to add that to my collection at some point.

Ruben

21. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Now I want one... You should go into politics, Ruben.

Draft saved Draft deleted