Signed coin slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by M.V, Aug 29, 2016.

1. M.V

M.V Member

I want to know others opinions about " sined eagle " coins. I have couple of sined eagles by David Hall founder of PCGS. When I bought it population was very low and the price was very high, but now I can see actions on Ebay with lower than I paid. What do you think is that a game, business or just a second chance to have a unique and rare coin? Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

Are we talking about math???

I think you mean signed.

MKent likes this.
  4. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

signed?

spell check is our friend

7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Adapted the title. Maybe you guys can now focus on issues other than spelling. ;)

Insider likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Prices are always changing and you can't know for sure how many he actually signed. It's possible that long term the prices will increase. You just never know what items with history will do.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Do you really think they should be worth a premium? Get real! Any time DH might need some fast cash, all he would have to do is sign some more inserts.

Chris

Insider, joecoincollect and ldhair like this.
  10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

True. One more way to market the product. We may not be alive to see it but I feel in the far future this type of stuff is going to bring big bucks. People love history.

11. carpman98

carpman98 Active Member

For 'needing fast cash', read the book 'Card Sharks' about the sports card industry, and particularly about Upper Deck and the Michael Jordan SP baseball card.

12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How about telling us what it said?

Chris

13. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

If you bought it, then it,s worth more for you...in my humble opinion, signatures, first strikes, early release, pictures, etc. just clutter up the label. The coin is all that really matters to me.

STU likes this.
  14. mark_h

mark_h Somewhere over the rainbow

Lots of people have autographed various coins and etc. I have never seen one with an autograph that I would want. I noticed on the first few I saw people where asking high premiums so I avoided them. In this case it is the business is a game, get someone to sign them, sell at a premium. Then watch them drop. Heck the same thing happens with some mint released coins - even if they do not sell out at the mint, they appear on ebay with high premiums. Wait a year(or maybe 2) and then the prices tank.

I just waiting for the slabs that if you turn them upside side the girl....could you imagine the premium those would drive. :)

15. STU

STU Active Member

I only like certified coins if low mintage and a great error mostly that's to make sure they are the real deal signed and other things put on certified coins don't interest me just another way for someone to charge more for the coin but when you resell don't mean the next buyer cares as they most likely just as I do want the coin

16. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I think it's stupid. The label should be irrelevant to the value of the coin.

There's also a lot of malarkey floating here...

NGC's slabs are facsimile signed. So what's the value add from a fake Baby Ruth sig?

PCI tried years ago to improve it's image by having various experts review and sign slabs. That fell apart when they decided it was cheaper to use pre-signed inserts and not bother shipping the coins to the experts for review. Nor pay them...

17. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I think signed things in our hobby do not amount to much. Who cares if the ANA president, a Mint president, or some coin nerd signed something? Most serious collectors look right past such things. A signature along with a scarce or rare coin, on the other hand, is an okay addition. Like the sac presentation pieces I think had signatures. Maybe if coin collecting got super popular (more seriously than the state quarter collectors), signatures might increase somewhat.

18. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Signed labels don't do anything for me. Neither do Early Releases, First Releases or labels with pretty pictures on them.

19. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Are all B.S.!

20. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Then again, a few weeks ago I went to the "Dag van de Munt" (Open Mint Day) in Utrecht, NL and (among other things) got the new Wadden Vijfje coincard. The designer of the coin, Kianoosh Motallebi, was there too, and he signed coin cards, brochures, etc. So I got one for myself and one for a friend. Yes, a gimmick in a way, but also a nice souvenir. :)

Christian

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

The first time they did the signed by expert route they used pre-signed and didn't bother shipping them the coins. The second time around they shipped them the coins and got real signed labels, but didn't bother paying the experts for their services.

Draft saved Draft deleted