Silver Surfer Coins

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Treashunt, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The Mint's word on the Silver Surfer coins:

"SILVER SURFER" QUARTERS

The United States Mint has learned that 20th Century Fox and The Franklin Mint are promoting the movie, "Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer," by placing a printed image of the "Silver Surfer" character, along with the movie's web address, on 40,000 California state commemorative quarter-dollar coins, and releasing these coins into circulation. This promotion is in no way approved, authorized, endorsed, or sponsored by the United States Mint, nor is it in any way associated or affiliated with the United States Mint.

Although the United States Mint does not have the authority to enforce Federal criminal laws pertaining to the integrity of U.S. coinage, one such law specifically addresses the use of U.S. coinage for commercial advertising. The relevant statute is 18 U.S.C. § 475, which states the following:

18 U.S.C. § 475. Imitating obligations or securities; advertisements.
    Whoever designs, engraves, prints, makes, or executes, or utters, issues, distributes, circulates, or uses any business or professional card, notice, placard, circular, handbill, or advertisement in the likeness or similitude of any obligation or security of the United States issued under or authorized by any Act of Congress or writes, prints, or otherwise impresses upon or attaches to any such instrument, obligation, or security, or any coin of the United States, any business or professional card, notice, or advertisement, or any notice or advertisement whatever, shall be fined under this title.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. srkjkd

srkjkd Book before coin

have you seen any for sale? what is the going rate?

4. Treashunt

Way too much, I have heard of $200 +!

5. Treashunt

Here is one lot for #2 pieces:
    2) Banned Silver Surfer Quarters
    Item number: 110137172786

Starting bid: US $150.00
    Place Bid >
    Buy It Now price: US $300.00

6. Treashunt

This one closed with a buy-it-now:

4 FANTASIC FOUR SILVER SURFER LIMITED EDITION QUARTERS
    Item number: 220118510925

Bidding has ended for this item

Sold for: US $499.99
    Auction ended early with Buy It Now.

7. Henry

Henry Member

on ebay they are going for $50-100 at this time.... and there are lots of them.

8. skinnyeddie

skinnyeddie Member

What an incredibly stupid advertising gimmick. What's the connection between the silver surfer and a quarter other than color?

If you look at the coin itself, it is just an ugly sticker-looking color image of the silver surfer slapped on the back of a quarter. Given the lackluster reviews of this film, the coin might turn out actually be worth LESS than a quarter when all is said and done.

9. spock1k

spock1k King of Hearts

hahaha i dont think its possible it will be less than 25c but its funny none the same :D

10. bandito974

bandito974 Senior Member

I sure wish I could get one but I don't want to pay the 100.00 for it. I'd be willing to trade bulk silver for it but don't know where to go to post that trade
    bandito

11. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Oh, it will be worth somehting - not what it is going for right now on e-bay. But it's not going away.

Not only is it a token or whatever you want to call it and therefore will always be in the numismatic arena, but you will also have people who collect movie-related items interested in it too. And all this free publicity.

I really don't see the difference between this and all the non-circulating crap the mint is selling right now - and that includes the dead prez and ASE's. Nothing circulates anymore.

If the movie were a real blockbuster, this would be the trinket to have, IMO.

12. TCBBK

TCBBK Cubs Fan

I can hear the printing presses in places like Mansfield, OH and Savannah, GA churning out a few million more stickers as we speak. Other than a copyright violation, what's to stop the scammers from their standard nefarious practices? Plus this scam is EASY to pull off. We'll see slabbed ones showing up within the week, IMO.

13. bandito974

bandito974 Senior Member

Sticker?

Is it a sticker? I assumed they altered the back of the Montana quarter..

14. Treashunt

No, I believe that it is a sticker.

15. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I have two of them here in my hand. The reverse what appears to be stickers over the top of California quarters.

The legal tender coin is a California state commemorative quarter minted by the U.S. Mint and color-enhanced by Franklin. This is from http://www.comicbookmovie.com/news/articles/3643.asp

16. skm06

skm06 Member

A 19 year old waitress received 70 of them at a Red Robin around Denver. Someone from Fox paid an $18 bill with them. Her manager was :mad: because she accepted them, so she bought them all from the drawer.
    She and her mother are now some of the ones selling them on ebay. Bet that manager is kicking themself now. Story is on page 4 of June 18 CW.

17. tommypski

tommypski Coinaholic

18. gopher29

gopher29 Coin Hoarder

Ayear from now after the movie flops those coins won't be worth squat!

Draft saved Draft deleted