silver in state quarter proof 90%

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by sesop, Oct 2, 2009.

1. sesop

sesop Junior Member

if the spot price of silver is, $16.20, the value of the silver in the 90% silver proof state quarter is is $2.9297.

this being the case, the bullion value in a set of 5 quarters, any 5 90% silver state quarters, is worth $2.9297 X 5.

If the ASE and other bullion coins regularly sell above spot on ebay, why do the state quarter 90% proof sets sell for less than spot?

i don't understand this. i'm not talking about the clad or uncirculated. red packages from the mint, 5 quarters, the value is at least $14, and yet the sets sell for $10 sometimes. why?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

supply and demand. if a thing with so many buyers. the price go up. if few or no buyers at all. the price will come down. but to say that it was below spot on some silver state quarter. since you know it. you have to buy it. simple as that. not everybody knew everything.

4. sesop

sesop Junior Member

wow, elaine! you're everywhere all the time. amazing.

5. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I'll take a stab at this. Let's say silver hits $50/oz. There are lines going around the corner wherever they buy silver.

You show up with your silver proof quarters. How do they know they're silver. Yes, by weighing. Think they're going to be interested doing that when there's 100 people behind you with easily convertable rolls of Peace Dollars and Franklin halves?

I dunno. Just a thought that crossed my mind.

6. andrew289

andrew289 Senior Analyst

Silver state quarters are the best deal (silver below spot) on ebay at the moment.
    I'm a buyer all day long.

Last week, I got a roll of MD Silver proofs for $98 with free shipping. I also got a lot with 10 silver quarter sets in mint packaging (50 quarters) for $92.00 with free shipping.

7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

A few years ago you could buy partial sets of Sterling Silver flatware for well below "melt". I bought like crazy..."free money"! If you find silver quarter sets below "melt", buy as many as you can...as long as you don't get raped by the S&H.

Draft saved Draft deleted