Silver heading for $20.00 an ounce.

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by elaine 1970, Feb 19, 2008.

1. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

silver moving toward $20.00 per ounce. will u.s. mint change again its silver american eagle (w) unciruclated dollar. currently selling at $21.95 for 2007. the coming 2008 (w) unc. am. eagle might see the price move to around $25.95 - $27.95.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

You seem to ask this question every time there is movement in silver prices.

The simple answer is that the Mint will continue to adjust its pricing based on bullion value as it has in the past - that means relatively quick response to increases and relatively slow responses to decreases, just like the gasoline refiners are doing as crude prices change!

4. Ed Goldman

Ed Goldman coin collector

$17.53 right now.

5. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Silver is on the rise its with out a doubt and, yes, the mint will increase prices based on silver cost.

6. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

sure they will raise the price they have to so they don't loss money. I've noticed you always have post about the prices going up you must be sitting on a bunch of silver. I wish I had more of the white metal now, but I'm hesitant to buy right now.

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Silver prices are high, but they aren't as high as they look, and in hindsight they might even turn out to be low. My opinion for some time has been that a few years from now, you will not be able to purchase a morgan or peace dollar below $20 regardless of condition or damage.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Today, Feb. 20th, 2008:
    Gold & Silver opened down.
    And Platimum down $65.00!

Time to sell?

9. WoodenSpoon Boy

WoodenSpoon Boy New Member

How is the mint losing money if they bought the silver to make the coins at a time where it was at a lower cost. Seems like they are just profiting from silver price increases not losing any money.

10. Tater

Tater Coin Collector

What I am saying is that they can't hold a fixed price all year with the commodities market being so apt to change. Plus how much in advance does the mint purchase the metal before it mints the coin? What's the turn around weeks, months, days I don't know but that would play into it.

11. Treashunt

Tater:
    Under the current market conditions, the mints buys silver on a regular basis.
    Besies, they made a mint (pun intended) by selling their silver at a profit when all that they did was get it from melting old silver coins.

12. mike98024

mike98024 Senior Member

WoodenSpoon Boy said "How is the mint losing money if they bought the silver to make the coins at a time where it was at a lower cost."

The reason commodity sellers like oil companies and the mint do that is that the replacement costs of the material can be so high that there isn't enough money left to fully replace the stock (silver) that they sold. I don't like defending oil companies, but they MUST generate enough current revenue to fully replace stock at current prices or they run behind on demand. That would drive prices even higher. The mint has to do the same because if there is a large spike in prices, say 30%, in the time it takes them to sell out they would only be able to replace 70% of the silver. Make sense? Mike

13. WoodenSpoon Boy

WoodenSpoon Boy New Member

Makes sense! you guys are wicked smart :)

14. elaine 1970

record high

platinum $2,170.50 up 41.9%

palladium $498.00 up 36.8%

silver $17.80 up 20.6%

gold $939.00 up 12.6%

dow jones average down 6.6%

s & p 500 down 7.6%

dec.31,2007 to present.

15. Philly Dog

Philly Dog Coin Collector

You can still get 2007 ASE unc from the mint for 21.95 I ordered more

16. american2

american2 Member

I saw a post on the website goldprice.org, claiming that the price of silver was going up to at least 75 dollars per ounce. Is this just extreme speculation?

17. Treashunt

ya think?

If so, I will be able to retire!

[not really, but it is fun to dream.]

18. elaine 1970

record higher and higher

palladium now overtake platinum as leader when palladium heads up 43.4% to $522.00 per ounce. platinum up 42.9% to $2,186.00 per ounce.

gold and silver also headed higher. gold hit $952.90 per ounce and up 14.5% since dec 31 2007. while silver up 22.6% to $18.09 per ounce.

p.s. tonight the platinum again lead over palladium. platinum up 43.8% to $2,200.00 and gold high at $954.70, up 14.5%

19. carl1949

carl1949 Senior Member

SOOOO...if I am sitting on a bunch of junk silver coins....WHEN do I sell?

20. shortstack

shortstack Senior Member

When you have something better to buy with the fiat you get for the silver.

21. elaine 1970

silver and gold

gold is projected to hit $1,000.00, then $1,200.00 and then $1,400.00 this year. so silver should be how much?. you figure out it..

both platinum and palladium raised over 43% from dec.31,2007 to present. that's means gold and silver not even carry out a big move yet. to see is to believe. let's see if this can happen.......what is your thought and comment?.....

Draft saved Draft deleted