silver content and value for mercury dime

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Daggarjon, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

an easy question for you :) at todays spot price of silver at $18+ what would the spot price of a mercury dime be?

i hate not being near my books lol

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silverpandas

silverpandas Junior Member

Melt value would be 1.33

4. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

I just verified that and yes that's correct.

5. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

6. BNB Analytics

BNB Analytics New Member

Lol, yes you will, Mike just gave it to me last night.

Thanks again for that!

7. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

$18.49 = .90 10c -$1.39

8. silverpandas

silverpandas Junior Member

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Calculate 90% silver value :

([FONT=Arial, Helvetica]18.48 [/FONT] × [FONT=Arial, Helvetica].0321507466[/FONT] × [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2.5[/FONT] × [FONT=Arial, Helvetica].90[/FONT]) = [FONT=Arial, Helvetica]$1.3368280436[/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

9. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

ok, good! so i am really NOT screwing my neighbor! He brings over 150+ mercury dimes, and a couple dozen buff nickles and ask my to make him an offer. I give him $2 per dime plus a bit for the nickles, even though most had unreadable dates. So for $325, i get the lot.

10. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

coininfo.com now has $18.42 @ 1.333

11. jaceravone

jaceravone Member

Sounds like a DOH! moment! :headbang:

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot there is no spoon

For most 90% silver issues of 20th century (like the Mercs), these days the multiplier is roughly 13x face.

What I find rather interesting, is not that long ago (two years?) it was 6.5x.

Silver's had quite a run....

13. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

not at all :) i dont mind paying more for a bulk lot, as i know alot of the coins might be worth more then the $2 from numismatic premiums (not much, but the possibility is there). Plus with the poor guy out of work and unable to find a job, just another reason i dont mind if in the end i paid a little more then needed. I just dont want to end up not giving him a fair deal. (this is not an Ebay shopping experience where we all want to find a deal)

This will give me a huge jumpstart on a mercury collection. Till now, i only had a small handfull found in circulation. The coins are all good to very good with a few exceptions of XF, but i can always upgrade later :)

thanks for the help guys!

14. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Remember those values for a Mercury Dime is based on no wear. As a coin wears it looses material and some of the Mercury Dimes I've seen appear to have lost a large percentage of material. For one coin at a time it is minor but for a large, bulk quantity, the loss could be substantial. All the so called bulk or melt prices listed for any coins are usually based on an entire coin and not ones that are worn considerably.
    At a flea market a few weeks ago a person was selling those types for $1.16 each. At another flea market someone was selling them for $1.25 each lately but used to sell for $1 each until he found out about the price of Silver. At most coin shows I go to dealers seldom sell any Mercury Dimes for melt. To them all Mercury Dimes are collectors pieces and sell for whatever the Grey Sheet claims or whatever they can get.

15. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It is amazing. About 5 years ago I went into an antique shop and bought 100 mercury dimes in circulated condition and one silver proof roosevelt for $40.

16. carew4me

carew4me The Crunge

13x too high for me to start 90%. I'll wait and see if there is a may swoon in 2010.

Draft saved Draft deleted