Silver coins with gold plating

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by rainwalkers, Nov 26, 2003.

1. rainwalkers

rainwalkers New Member

Hi everyone

I'm new to this forum and new to the coin world. I am thinking about collecting the silver coins with gold plating (I thinks it was called BI-Color). I bought one , silver eagle with the lady in gold. These coins are really good looking. My question is

1. are there any sites where I can find more of these kind of coins
    2. are they a good item to invest in? or is a coin with gold or silver better?

Thanks in advance

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ronzimm

ronzimm New Member

They are pretty to look at,but to most collectors it is defacing the coin. They probably will never appreciate in value except for their intrinsic value.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

What ronzimm said is correct. If anything - plated coins are worth even less than an unplated coin when talking about bullion value. With plated coins - the plating must be removed first when the coin is melted. This only increases the cost for the person melting the coin. These coins typically sell for a fraction of the original cost in years to come.

However - if what you like is collecting plated coins - by all means go for it. Some can be quite beautiful and a collector should collect what he or she likes & enjoys. But treat them very carefully. The plating is extremely thin and even the most minute scratch will show the metal underneath.

5. Basileus

Basileus New Member

You have to becareful with the quarter craze out there. There is much marketing and hype out there. I do collect some of the quarters myself, but if I am looking for future value I get the silver ones which tend to have lower mintages. The gold-plated ones do deface the coins you have as they have just said.

Draft saved Draft deleted