Silver Buffalo

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by swick, Jun 14, 2007.

1. swick

swick New Member

Does the U.S. Mint issue a commerative SILVER BUFFALO? I saw a 2007, 1 oz. Silver Buffalo Commerative for sale on E-Bay and was just wondering if it was issued by the U.S. Mint? I can't remember seeing the SILVER Buffalo for sale on the Mint's web site, but that's not unusual for me to miss something. LOL If the Mint has issued these commeratives, how long have they (the Mint) been doing it? DUH!! LOL
    Thanks to all!

swick

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I don't think that was the US mint. There are a lot of mints that make collector "coins", so it was surely one of them. It's funny that they can call it a commemorative, considering unless it was the US Mint issueing it, no other mint can commemorate ever minting a buffalo coin in legal tender. Guess thats why I stay away from anything like that.
    Guy~

4. swick

swick New Member

Thanks Guy....you look like the only person on this site that doesn't have me on "ignore" LOL Thanks again!

swick

5. jody526

jody526 New Member

6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

It's a silver round. You can buy them at mintproducts.com.

7. line_grade

line_grade Member

Also on the "mintproducts.com" site you will see the 2001 Buffalo Commem. for sale for about $269 or something like that. The 2001 is a U.S.Mint coin, the 2007 is not.

8. jody526

jody526 New Member

Good info. Wish I'd thought of that. :p

9. rotobeast

rotobeast Old Newbie

I've got both of those.
    I really like the Mint Comm.

10. samjimmy

samjimmy New Member

When looking for an actual commerative silver buffalo (2001) I almost got caught by that. Sad thing is, I've seen even pretty reputable dealers refer to that silver round (pictured above) as a "commerative silver buffalo" which is confusing. It's not entirely incorrect, but it can be confused with the official 2001 US Mint commerative silver buffalo if you don't know better.

11. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The bizzare thing is that the silver round at around $15 is probably a better purchase than the commemorative. You can get around 18 silver rounds for the price of on commem. They won't look quite as good, but sometimes quantity is better than quality.

12. swick

swick New Member

SamJimmy,
    You're right about "reputable dealers" selling the silver round as a "commerative". That's exactly what the auction site said...Commerative Silver Buffalo. Thanks to all that replied.
    AND, I hope that you all know that I was joking about the "ignore" comment. And thanks for the picture Jody. I still don't know how to get an E-Bay auction site over to thread on Coin Talk!! "Stone Hands"!! LOL

swick

13. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

i hope the mint will issue silver buffalo 1 oz, 1/2 oz. 1/4 oz. i just love them.

Draft saved Draft deleted