Silver 1985 Lincoln Penny

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by ken64, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ken64

ken64 New Member

I'm wondering if i have a funny coin or real. i found a 1985 D lincoln Penny that's silver. It's condition is G. the coin also has 4 indentation :confused: , 1 on lincolns neck and 3 on the memorial. I'll try to post pics as soon as my camera is charged. thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

I'd bet money that what you have is merely only plated - which, if you search the forums, is actually a nifty and fairly easy process involving electricity and pennies in water, but unfortunately not worth more than a cent!

But yeah, put the pics up, and we'll make sure of what you've got.

And BTW, Welcome to CoinTalk!

~AJ

4. joedoedoe

joedoedoe New Member

One way to tell if your coins has been plated is by weight, plating is adding to the coin, while a coin with missing plating is of less weight than a standard coin, this wieght measurement isn't something you can do at home, I am talking milligrams (MGs)
    a good idea is to post a picture, other tell tale signs may be present.

5. ken64

ken64 New Member

sorry for the delay....here are the pics

Attached Files:

6. happycobra

happycobra Senior Member

Looks plated to me. From the Internet everything looks plated. i can’t really tell. That bluish silver color is an indicator. Replanted steel pennies will have the same look. :eek:

7. satootoko

satootoko Retired

8. happycobra

happycobra Senior Member

I think your limited to using copper pennies in this method. The zinc pennies will melt on you.

9. B12

B12 Coin Hoarder

Are you sure It's silver. It could be steel. Either way It's probably rare or worth a lot. B12

10. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

Hi,
    It has all the earmarks of having been plated outside the Mint. I looked more closely at alarger picture of the coin and it is definitely "coated" with something.
    Have Fun,
    Bill

11. Newb798

Newb798 New Member

I found one too. I scratched and comes silver! What is it?!

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Probably a regular copper plated zinc cent that has had the plating removed. You remove the plating and the coin is silver colored. If you scratch it it will still be silver colored, and further damaged. But still worth 1 cent.

13. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@foundinrolls
    I was just reading this very old thread a new member posted on yesterday. Looks like you are the only active member left that responded from 2005! :woot:

Besides @Conder101 who responded yesterday!

14. Shepperd

Shepperd New Member

15. Daisylee

Daisylee New Member

I found one, too. Is this common for 1985 pennies? I can't figure out how to insert a picture...it want an image url? I'm trying to upload from my phone.

16. paddyman98

The answer you seek has been given on this thread.. Plated. Not a mint error.

17. FrankG120

FrankG120 New Member

here’s mine coin I just found today on the job.

18. paddyman98

I don't see it.
    But please read the answers given on this thread so you could understand better what you probably have.
    There are no modern Silver planchet cents.

19. paddyman98

Oh poor Daisy.. She posted once and never returned :(

20. VistaCruiser69

VistaCruiser69 Well-Known Member

If not plated, it may be the results of a junior high or high school science project. In chemistry class they can, in a relatively simple way, make them look gold or silver.

Draft saved Draft deleted