Shrink Wrapped Rolls

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by collect4fun, Nov 4, 2004.

1. collect4fun

collect4fun Senior Member

Is the plastic used to shrink wrap rolls safe for long term storage or should I open it an place the coins in tubes?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. satootoko

satootoko Retired

I'm no chemist, but I would suspect any soft plastic of having PVC in its makeup.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To be honest I don't know. What I do know is that not all soft plastic has PVC in it. ZipLocks and baggies are soft - and they contain 0 PVC. Don't know about coin rolls though.

5. National dealer

National dealer New Member

Good question. I do not know either. I will ask a few of the dealers tomorrow and see what the consensus is.

6. collect4fun

WOW, a question that stumps the best !!

7. ageka

ageka New Member

I followed a similar discussion on a German board between chemists
    ( I am a chemical engineer so I could follow the discussion somewhat )

PVC is a plastic(polyvinylchloride) like PE ( polyethylene ) and PP
    ( Polypropylene ) and ABS ( Acrylobutadienestyrene ) and PS
    ( polystyrene ) etc .....

PVC gets brittle with age and therefore a product was added called plasticiser which kind of oils the PVC but which can leach out and attack especially silver ( do not ask me why ) and therefore the concensus was to dip any new acquired coin in acetone ( this will remove the plasticiser)
    Some people also claimed that some of the chlorine could attack copper and give copperchoride which is green rot on coins

So you want a flip or plastic without plasticiser and I guess preferably without chlorine

At the bottom of attached link you will find a lot of other plastics
    I think 2X2 holders are Mylar and airtites and the like are acrylics
    I do not know what present day flips are made off but I am sure they left the plasticiser out at least

http://www.psrc.usm.edu/macrog/pvc.htm

You can read a lot about coinholders at following site

http://rg.ancients.info/guide/holders.html

8. Metalman

Metalman New Member

If it helps ,I bought several rolls of 1995 Lincoln cents in shrink wrap original brinks rolls just a few weeks ago, when opened the coins were fine after ten years or nearly ten years of being stored in the shrink rolls.no discoloration bright and shiney as the day they were made.

9. National dealer

National dealer New Member

I asked a few dealers today, and none were aware of any harmful effects of these wrappers. No PVC that anyone is aware of.

10. collect4fun

Thanks for the info everyone

Draft saved Draft deleted