Shredded Monoey; does anyone actually buy this?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by HumptyDumpty, Dec 16, 2009.

1. HumptyDumpty

HumptyDumpty Junior Member

Just like the title asked, does anyone actually buy shredded money?

I saw a documentry a few years back how the treasury will spend time putting it together and refund the seller, but... :bigeyes: I'm just not sure about that.

Also, aside from the FED, why (and who) would shred paper money?

Here's the link to why I'm asking the question.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-5-OUNCES-UNIT...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53deb20105

Thankis,

Chas.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

I had some pencils recycled from shredded money.

4. raider34

raider34 Active Member

I guess people do. Actually at a coin show (I think it was coinfest) there was a dealer selling 1 million dollars in shredded money that was inside a big glass display, it was pretty cool to look at.

5. Saor Alba

Saor Alba Senior Member

When I was in high school we went to the Federal Reserve bank on a tour, as a parting gift we got a little package of shredded currency. Yes, they gave out souvenirs.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

You used to be able to get this from the Federal Reserve. Not sure how they do it now but that was the way they destroyed old notes. I still have a 5 gallon water bottle full of it from 30 years back. Only half of the bills were destroyed at a time. The other half was done on a different day. It's a long story but it was impossible to put a note back together.

7. Saor Alba

Saor Alba Senior Member

The European Central Bank does the same thing, they shred notes. I have a bag of about 1000 shredded Euros that a forum member here sent me a couple of years back as packing for some Euro commems.

8. louielot

louielot Junior Member

9. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I remember when I was in the 7th grade I went on a class trip to Virginia and Washington DC and while at Mt. Vernon I found a souvenir pen that was clear and inside was full of shredded money. I thought it was neat back then and I bought one.

10. hrhomer

hrhomer Member

They used to sell it as a novelty in catalogs like Lillian Vernon and Harriet Carter.

Joe

11. swhuck

swhuck Junior Member

My boss's son went to the Fort Worth Bureau of Engraving and Printing just a few days ago and picked up some shredded money.

12. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Ditto on tours of Federal Reserve banks of Cleveland (1997) and Dallas (2000). I have a few bags of it hereabouts. It's cute. You only need one though. I mean, unless you wanted one from each FRB... Nice collection.

13. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I went to the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City last summer, and they gave it away.

Draft saved Draft deleted