Series 2009 is now in circulation!

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Numbers, Dec 21, 2009.

1. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Don't look now, but the first of the Series 2009 $20's have turned up in circulation before they've even appeared in the BEP's monthly production reports. It's a bit unusual, but not unheard-of, for currency printed in December to be issued the same month....

Looks like the 2009 notes have serials beginning with "J", and yes, the $20's still have the oversized face plate numbers indicating that they were printed on the SOI presses.

Keep your eyes out for these, sprinkled in amongst all the new holiday money.... :cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Cool to know, thanks for the heads up :)

4. Penny Fanatic

Penny Fanatic Seated Half Collector

What denominations are the new 09's? just 1's, 5's 10's and 20's? maybe 100's?

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Any major design changes??

6. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Thats good to know.. will have to go to the Bank tomorrow.

RickieB

7. Thanks for the heads up! This is the first new series to be issued since I started collecting, so I will have to try and get myself a real nice example.

8. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

Ohh gotta keep a look out for these notes

9. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

All denominations should be converted to the new series eventually--though if for some reason the signature combination doesn't last too long, it's possible that some denominations would skip it.

But it'll be months, at least, until the new printing plates for every denomination have been prepared. At the moment, all we know is that at least one $20 has been spotted in circulation.

No, just a routine signature change: Series 2009 has the new Rios-Geithner signatures.

The Kodachrome $100 is due to go into production any time now, though, so I'd guess there's a good chance that that redesign will coincide with the signature change, just to save the BEP the trouble of making *two* new master plates in a short time.

10. schwalbe

schwalbe Junior Member

whats a Kodachrome?

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Color. As opposed to black and white, or green and white, only. :)

Christian

12. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

Should ask my bank if they've seen any. Was planning on doing a little framed 2010 "Lincoln set" with that year's $5 bill, Lincoln presidential dollar, and the new cent redesign...

Edit: No luck yet (not expecting it this fast); my bank being in the Denver metro area, gets new coins pretty quickly but takes a while to get the new bills. They do know of the new $100 design already, and while they haven't seen any yet, their semi-educated guess is the new series of $100's will probably be the new design.

Probably no new $2's.

13. cerdsalicious

cerdsalicious BigShot

I searched through 4 banks and several straps of 20's but I havent found any 2009 guess ill have to wait a couple weeks.

14. urbanchemist

urbanchemist US/WORLD CURRENCY JUNKIE

so those are Kansas City notes?

at work we havent received any brand new currency in a while. its all circulated bills. hopefully we will get something in after the new year. i will have to ask about special ordering new notes:D:thumb:

15. CC20gold

CC20gold Junior Member

It's a Federal Reserve Bank of New York note. The B2 underneath the serial number denotes the Federal Reserve district. Plus the second alpha of the alpha-numeric serial number denotes the FR district as well.
    I really miss the old style FR district seal.

16. urbanchemist

lol duh, guess i should have gone to the link and looked at the bill before i asked that question. :headbang::headbang::headbang:

17. CC20gold

CC20gold Junior Member

No worries, mate. ;)

I don't like the new way they denote the district on the new notes I have to admit. I miss the the old style seal with the district numbers in the corners of the note.
    I recently bought a 1977 Taylor-Blumenthal radar $20. Philly district 3-C. I really miss the old FRN 20's. Old 20's are beautiful notes.

18. urbanchemist

this is how i like the district seal's. :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. CC20gold

CC20gold Junior Member

Very nice!!! and as a Double Eagle collector I like the "Redeemable in gold on demand...".

20. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I will keep my eye open for that one, Sounds kinda cool to me, They need
    Something like this to spark things up a bit, Current money kind of boring!!

21. SirCharlie

SirCharlie Chuck

So are there pics of the new $100 Kodachrome notes?

Draft saved Draft deleted