Seen this? Possible 2009 Lincoln Cent Reverse Design

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinmelt, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Lincoln standing in front of the Old State Capitol is one of the design options for one of the new pennies scheduled to be released next year to coincide with the 200th anniversary of Lincoln's birth. (Image courtesy of U.S. Mint) - See attached image.

Full story here

Not bad, but they should bring back the wheat ears :goof:

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Vercingetorix

Vercingetorix Member

agreed -- not bad. not great, but not bad. on such a small coin, a lot of the detail is going to be difficult to take in. simple and bold works better for small pieces.

after 2009, of course, they need to phase out the penny. er, cent. maybe we can put abe on the new two dollar coin, after we decommission the one dollar bill.

thanks for the link!

v.

4. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

Hummm only a few things I see wrong with that...back in 1860-1864 Lincolon always rode in a Carriage and stepped onto a wooden Platform to exit the carriage onto the muddy streets!

Give us reality! Can't wait for the new Lincoln cent and I am sure the other 10 million people feel the same way....Wish it were a low mintage commem instead of a design change!!

RickieB

5. Brennn10

Brennn10 Coins =

I really don't care for the designs. Bring back the wheaties!

6. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Like said, could be much worse. I think it looks pretty nice IMHO. I can't wait for the original composition proofs. :D Hope they don't mess them up. :rolleyes:

Phoenix :cool:

7. Troodon

Troodon Coin Collector

This is a nice one. The Mint needs to start doing more of this kind of thing, more often.

8. jnpjresq

jnpjresq New Member

OK design - but way too much detail for a cent - that would be alot of detail for half dollar coin.

9. snaz

snaz Registry fever

will it be circulated?? because thats a hefty design for such a small coin....

10. WoodenSpoon Boy

WoodenSpoon Boy New Member

looks ok on paper but if it goes through , its going to be watered down hard core and look pretty sad. I dont like how Lincoln has his hand raised like that. looks stupid and out of place. is he greeting guests to the entrance of the building? DUMB

11. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Actually, Lincoln just bought all the 2009 mint issues and is showing us that he has nothing left in his pockets.

12. ACW

ACW AIM HIGH

Way too much detail for a cent. The designs all look good when depicted in grayscale and enlarged but when they come out they look completely different, usually in a negative way.

13. ambro

ambro www.lincolncentennial.com

I think there was another politician in Germany in the 40s who used to stand in front of buildings and hold his hand up like that.....

Horrible design.

Better a big 1c on the back than that.

14. Aslanmia

Aslanmia Active Member

Looks like he's trying to sell the place...

"Now over here we have a lovely 4 bedroom bungalo that just came on the market and is priced to sell!"

15. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

Okay, now that was funny.

16. AgCollector

AgCollector Senior Member

I completely agree. I felt the same way about the new nickel obverse and presidential dollars, too.

17. Oldman

Oldman New Member

The design isnt bad, But I honestly think that it would lok better on a Dollar. I think the mint should go SIMPLE with the new pennys. Why not go with a design like the jefferson nickels with KLincoln Faceing you on the Obverse and sat for the 2009 put the wheat design on the reverse.

18. Coinmelt

Coinmelt New Member

The article said something about 4 designs being issued in 2009. This is just one possible one of the four. This is unconfirmed and I might of read it wrong. So, who knows what will be minted in the coming year.

19. Phoenix21

Phoenix21 Well-Known Member

Aslanmia and Pocket change:

:mouth: :D :thumb: :mouth:

Phoenix :cool:

20. grizz

grizz numismatist

21. craig a

craig a Coin Hoarder

I'm not sure they are going to use that design. There were so many submitted. They were ready to go with four, but the citizen commitee didnt like three of them. Can you believe one woman on the commitee didnt like one reverse because it showed Lincoln and a Civil War era cannon? She opposed weapons on coins. I guess she thought that war was fought with very terse and mean spirited letters.

Draft saved Draft deleted