Scratches on Lincoln Proof Silver Dollars.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by alhas, May 6, 2009.

1. alhas

alhas Senior Member

I finally received my five proof dollars and four of them have "minor" scratches. Normally I would return them for replacement but what I probably would receive, at this late stage, would be rejects.

Question is: would you hang on to them as they are all sold out, or return? Thanks!

Al

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

From my perspective, the fact they have been sold out from the mint would not have anything to do with my decision to keep or return them. What I would ask myself( in private, so people will not talk about me) will I be satisfied with these coins over the years or will my attention always be drawn to these scratches.

Everyone is different but for me, I do not want to keep collectibles that I am not satisfied with. Besides you can probably pick up some later at a reasonable price.

4. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I have an almost completed set of Buffalo Nickels. I am happy with every single one of them except for the 1916-d. Guess what I always end up looking at when I'm on that page. When I'm completely finiished I'm going to replace it.

Regarding the Lincolns I didn't look at the original date of the Post, but if it is today I would venture to say you already got some others sent back. It is your decision, but me I would send back and maybe buy less quanity on the secondary market. Years from now will that difference in price mean anything?

5. kidkayt

kidkayt Senior Member

I had some Lincoln Proofs with scratches on them too. I did send them back;
    but I'm somewhat picky, and they were visible if tilted. Kind of a shame but
    it is the way it goes.

6. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

i would return them, and pick up good examples from the secondary market. Might cost a bit more, but i would be much happier with the non-scratched coins!

7. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

If I was the least bit unhappy with any of my proofs I would try returning them with specific details of the scratches on each coin. I would then request replacements with the guarantee that they be checked before being sent to you. I would also call the mint/dealer/whoever and speak to management about this problem. I know it sounds like pie-in-the sky BS but it's worth a try isn't it?

8. alhas

alhas Senior Member

Thank you all for helping me make a decision!

I will send them back.

9. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Good for you. There's nothing like a little satifaction in making up one's mind and sticking to it.

10. Bazz

Bazz Member

It would have been eating at you forever. As much as a pain in the rear that it was you made the right move.

11. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

Agreed, I also think you'll be glad you did.

Draft saved Draft deleted