[CLOSED] Santinidollar Summer Contest

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Santinidollar, Jun 17, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Entry post:

Thanks for the contest Allan.....

DSC_6041.JPG DSC_6042.JPG

Cheech9712, Santinidollar and tibor like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Entry Post:
    1841 USS Constitution Token
    upload_2022-6-18_19-34-58.png upload_2022-6-18_19-35-14.png

4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

Entry post……for @Evan Saltis because it’s his birthday.

Any time I see one of these at the right price, I snatch them up….

7631DA8E-6EB0-428E-9D02-4B65AB406139.jpeg

5. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Not my entry post.

@Good Cents I do not collect coins with the queen on them. But I must say the reverse on this coin is outstanding. I love it. It could actually be a first queen portrait I could live with.

Good Cents likes this.
  6. masterswimmer

Now this is my ENTRY POST.

Thanks @Santinidollar for the contest.

This was my first ever coin I won in an auction.

IMG_20211209_144106998~2.jpg

IMG_20211209_150338327~2.jpg

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

spirityoda and masterswimmer like this.
  8. Good Cents

Good Cents Well-Known Member

@masterswimmer

I'm so glad you like it. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Do you mind if I ask what your aversion is to coins depicting her majesty, Elizabeth II, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith?

(That's her official title, for anyone wondering. I only added "her majesty" before her title.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    Santinidollar and masterswimmer like this.
  9. masterswimmer

I am averse to the concept of monarchies. I don't support birthright elitism.

10. Good Cents

I hear you. I'm averse to that too, which is why I wrote out her whole title. I think it's comical in our day and age.

But I'm not averse enough not to buy some of those gorgeous coins!

I also think our day and age has it's own birthright elitism. The Kardashians and others famous, idolized and making millions for nothing but being kids of famous people. I see it as the new monarchy.

Anyway, at this point the UK monarchy has little to no power other than celebrity. And the people of the UK can vote to shut down the monarchy which many have tried doing for years now. It never succeeds mostly because it brings them huge amounts of tourism revenue. The monarchy has been reduced to a tourist attraction now. I see them as monkeys in gilded cages who don't hurt anyone. So, I'm willing to buy pretty coins even if they just happen to be on the reverse.

That's how I see it.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

12. masterswimmer

The difference between the Kardashians and the like is the fact they're celebrities who still have to figure out a way to con the public into throwing money at them.

The queen and her court are awarded a sovereign grant paid by the taxpayers annually to support them for no other reason than birthright.

Good Cents likes this.
  13. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I’d trade the royals for the Kardashians any day of the week.

14. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Screenshot_20220619-203832_Google.jpg Screenshot_20220619-203527_Google.jpg

Good Cents and Santinidollar like this.
  15. Good Cents

True. But as Satinidollar said, I'd take the Royals over the Kardashians any day of the week.

Also, whatever grant paid by the taxpayers annually to support the royals is made up multiple times by the amount of tourism dollars they bring into the treasury. They not only pay for themselves in the taxes collected from tourists, they make money for the country.

But still and all - I hear your point. I'm not a citizen of the UK, so I can't vote on the matter. But if I could I would vote them out just on principal because monarchies have abused their power in the extreme throughout human history. But looking around the world today - China, North Korea, Cuba, Venezuelan Dictators, War Lords in Africa, Putin - countries don't have to have monarchs to be ruled by absolute power that is often handed down by birthright (North Korea, Cuba) or taken by the most ruthless person at the top. They may not be kings but they may as well be. Their entire focus is on staying in power to the detriment of their citizens (Putin is one of the richest men in the world).

The British Royals have no power and function merely as celebrities and figureheads. Even the queen who never uses the power she has (and if she or if Charles ever will the country would immediately vote to strip her/him of their powers) is rendered completely powerless.

The British Monarchy as they are is not ideal. But neither are a lot of other situations around the world, including our very own system that is in trouble which I am NOT touching upon since politics are disallowed. We can all agree our own system it is very far from ideal. And yet we balk at the neutered British Royals.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. I totally hear your point.

16. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Entry Post 4-4-0 re shot 12 17 A-horz.jpg

17. Indianhead65

Indianhead65 Well-Known Member

IMG_20220618_120820.jpg IMG_20220618_120857.jpg Entry Post.....if I should be picked please pass it on to a YN of your choice.

Screenshot_2022-06-19-21-55-49-58_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg Screenshot_2022-06-19-21-55-29-95_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

tibor, Clawcoins, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  18. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Entry Post

Thanks @tibor and @expat :)
    Thank you Santinidollar for the contest!

Here's a good looking but well circulated Canada dime.
    Screenshot_20220620-091805.png

19. APX78

APX78 Well-Known Member

Entry Post. 1B.jpg

Thanks for the contest.:)

dwhiz and Santinidollar like this.
  20. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

21. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Out of respect

Kentucky likes this.