Sacagawea - No Year

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by utahluge, Dec 8, 2009.

1. utahluge

utahluge Junior Member

Got this coin in circulation. I am a bit confused about it not having a year though as I cannot find any information. How often do coins show up without a year on them?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(pics linked from blogspot.com so just let me know if they don't work, thanks)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

I am willing to bet that if you were to look on the edge of the coin.. You will see a date of.. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh 2009..

19Lyds likes this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Check the third side old fellow....the edge. That is where you will find the date....The Sak's went to edge lettering for the date this year. :)

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

By Jove Jim.......you and I seem to have posted at the exact same time....:)

6. utahluge

utahluge Junior Member

Oh. ha Sorry about that. Hopefully the post will help someone else in the future. Personally, at first glance it seems like a very ... unwise decision. The 2009 on this coin is already starting to fade away. I mean come on... most of the ribbed quarters in circulation for a while are almost flat instead of ribbed. :rolleyes:

7. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

These coins will become dateless if used alot

in the picture - the middle coin is a well used 2009 Native coin that i got from a vending machine at a amusement park this year - they use alot of dollar coins - i could barely see the date and mintmark, so i kept it

so i thought i would share this - imagine if they are used alot ? there would be a alot of dateless coins, sorta,but you would know the year but not the mintmark

[​IMG]

8. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

the mint marks on these coins will be like the dates on 1916-1924 Standing Liberty Quarters, or Buffalo Nickels

9. grizz

grizz numismatist

.......along with the prez bucks, i REALLY don't think there's a danger of using

them too often to wear them out.

NSP and hotwheelsearl like this.
  10. mlmummert

mlmummert Junior Member

As for the year wearing off -- Since the design is supposed to be changing every year now, that informally dates them a second way.:secret:

11. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

But they will be very valuable, because most of them will have the mint mark removed through ware and if you have some without ware, then you will have a gold mine. OK, let me think about what I just wrote. Sac's used a lot? Nah. OK, never mind....

12. tbarreca

tbarreca Ruthless Realist

Imo, even if they were used a lot, and most of them lost their dates, ever being very valuable is hugely unlikely, just because of the vast numbers produced.

13. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Yep. Since the local USPS swapped out their coin stamp machines for credit card readers, SACs only fit into parking meters here for me.

But I have a mint roll of them that will be fine until I bust them out. Too bad I can't tell if they are "P"'s or "D"'s until then.

14. elaine 1970

elaine 1970 material girl

if you happen to get a clear date or other wording in the prez and sac dollar series. keep it. in the future. it will cost a lot of money to acquire those clear wording coin.

15. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

Worst ones

And to think I've spent hours looking for the worst of the worst on edge lettering!:headbang:

16. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Not in my lifetime or probably my son's lifetime. These will be like the BiCentennial IKE's Kennedy's and Washington's in that everybody will have them.

Just My Observation and Opinion. (JMOO) ;)

17. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The weak edge lettered coins will be the first to show such wear since the lettering is impressed fairly deep on these. I expect that the surfaces (obv and rev) will wear much more dramatically than the edges will.
    I also expect that your well worn coin was of the weak edge variety before any wear ever occured.

The real trick will be in determining whether a coin is a Weak Edge Lettered coin (an attributable error) or a "well worn" coin but unless the paper dollar goes bye bye and these things are used with regularity, I doubt that many well worn examples will exist.

Folks simply don't use them aside from your example area.

18. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

When I give them to my kids, they complain. At banks when I ask for halves, the tellers practically beg me to take some of the dollar coins....

19. So I might as well just put it away, first time coming across it. Oh well. Thought I had something.

20. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

So take them back and give them nothing. Should only take a time or two and they will stop complaining. (They might still not like it, but they won't complain.)

21. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Sacs in G4 condition will be a condition rarity.

Draft saved Draft deleted