Royal Canadian Mint

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bromac4, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I just received an advertising brochure from the mint. They have improved their packaging and one of the benefits is that it will "better protect your coin from TARNISHING (my emphasis) over time."It's nice to see that the mint doesn't think tarnish (not toning) is a positive thing.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If it isn't airtight - it won't matter what they did ;)

4. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I was referring more to the term tarnish as opposed to toning.

5. susanlynn9

susanlynn9 New Member

Except it all amounts to the same thing, doesn't it? ;)

6. GDJMSP

Well yeah - I realized that. And I too find it comical that the Mint would phrase it in such a way. But to be honest - it seems they always do. The US Mint has made the same sort of claims over the years - several times. I have little doubt that the RCM is any different.

You would think that the folks at the mints would use different terminology than they do. But they aren't collectors - and to be honest - they don't know any better. At least the folks writing the press releases and advertising don't.

Of course there are some people who will say they DID use the proper terminology :D

7. bromac4

bromac4 Senior Member

I guess that was my point and I know there are some on the forum who agree with me. I don't really like it so I call it tarnish and avoid it in the coins I collect. Those who do like it call it toning and seek it out.There is nothing wrong with either side - its just personal preference.

8. GDJMSP

That's why they make chocolate and vanilla pal :D

9. OldDan

OldDan 共和党

On no you don't, I'm not touching this one with a ten foot pole! ;)

10. GDJMSP

ROTFL !!

Who says ya can't teach an old dog new tricks :D

11. satootoko

satootoko Retired

And who would that be Doug?[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted