Ronald Reagan on the $50

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by krispy, Mar 4, 2010.

?

Select your choice of FUTURE designs of the $50 note and all else that applies...

Poll closed Jun 6, 2010.
  1. Keep President Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President, on the $50.

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Remove President Ulysses S. Grant, 18th President, from the $50.

5 vote(s)
    6.8%
  3. President Ronald Wilson Reagan should be honored on the $50 or any future coin or note.

21 vote(s)
    28.8%
  4. President Ronald Wilson Reagan should not be honored on the $50 or any future coin or note.

14 vote(s)
    19.2%
  5. US coins/notes should feature politicians, statesmen/women or persons of elected office.

8 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. US coins/notes should not feature politicians, statesmen/women or persons of elected office.

13 vote(s)
    17.8%
  7. US coins/notes should feature prominent citizens who contributed to society but are not politicians.

11 vote(s)
    15.1%
  8. US coins/notes shouldnt feature prominent citizens who contributed to society but arent politicians

6 vote(s)
    8.2%
  9. US coins/notes should feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols.

44 vote(s)
    60.3%
  10. US coins/notes should not feature allegorical figures of liberty, freedom or national symbols.

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. krispy

krispy krispy

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bluetip84

Bluetip84 Likes Toned Coins

Yea i just finished reading an article on my RSS feeds about this. Im not sure how I feel about it because I really like Grant and i think the 50 is one of our cooler current bills. It will be interesting to see if this is approved.

4. krispy

krispy krispy

I prefer Grant too, current and classic designs.

5. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I would prefer Micky Mouse over that particular choice, just IMO!

6. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Well, it's at least a better idea than putting Reagan on the dime: It's always been traditional to have assorted statesmen on the paper currency, whereas I really wish the coins would get back to Liberty already.

And it's a better idea than putting Reagan on the $10, which was mooted a few years back: Alexander Hamilton is basically the reason why U.S. paper money is worth anything in the first place, so he deserves to be pictured on it more than anybody.

If we're going to replace any of the current currency portraits, Jackson and Grant are the most likely to get the boot: Both were great generals but mediocre (at best) presidents, and neither is remembered with particularly high praise by the current-day members of his political party.

Of the two, Jackson was a Democrat and Grant a Republican, so if we're looking for a place to put Reagan, it makes sense to bump Grant. That way there's likely to be less objection from across the aisle.

So, I'd say I like this proposal better than any of the previous suggestions for placing Reagan's likeness on the money. Still, I'll be amazed if it passes....

7. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

I would put Reagen on the $100 or higher denomination like the $500 that
    Would be so cool!!

8. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

I'm all for it "Reagan Smash!"

9. krispy

krispy krispy

He's certainly far, far too controversial of a subject to be on either US coin or currency at this time, especially for the many people who do not remember him so fondly for one thing or another.

Besides he's already been on the .37¢ stamp...

[​IMG]

Here's some oldies from Ronnie's early era:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How about they put Cowboy Ron on a note??? :rolling:

[​IMG]

10. krispy

krispy krispy

I don't think it will pass either. And I'd like to see something representing Liberty on coin and currency too. This proposal will spark a debate and so why not settle that with allegorical imagery of Liberty instead of recent political leaders that will mire in debate over the choice proposed.

11. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

12. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

JFK was barely in the ground when they put 'em on the half dollar...

13. sunflower

sunflower New Member

A gold coin would be my choice.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

It's definitely too early for RR to be on coin/currency. Had he died from his wounds in the attempt on his life, then a memorial image of the fallen leader may have been more widely received as was Kennedy's likeness on halves regardless of individual feelings about his politics/administration. Reagan has a legacy and will be remembered far into the future but I can't quite see this going through yet. I suspect it will require a sustained effort for years to come to get his likeness on a coin or note.

15. sunflower

sunflower New Member

I don't think it will ever happen. We will have to choke down the current President's mug shot before we get a dead one on the bill.

16. krispy

krispy krispy

Ronald Reagan Commemorative Coins
    have already been proposed.

And eventually Nancy Reagan will be on a First Spouse gold coin as well.

17. Lugia

Lugia ye olde UScoin enthusiast

this world could use a little more reagan.

18. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Everybody thats anybody has been on the stamp, Ronnie deserves a shot
    At a bill!!

19. Goldstone

Goldstone Digging for Gold

Agreed :) he's my favorite president and I wasn't even alive when he was in office. haha

20. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

"I do not think Doug really want's us to go much "further down this hollow" don't you know"! That or as another very famous man said, "nip it," "nip it in the bud"!!!

21. tiag12

tiag12 w/out the penny we'd all

We need to have our Vet's from all US conflicts honored on our money. On the reverse for example have a print of our men & women in uniform from each of our conflicts from Civil to current with a US flag flying in the background would be an awesome way to honor our war hero’s living and dead. Any artists in the group?

Draft saved Draft deleted