Roman Republican Denarius - C CASSIUS

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Bonedigger, Sep 18, 2006.

1. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Ok, it's finally here. I've waited patiently for a few weeks and "yippee" it's finally here. A 126 BC. C. Cassius Denarius is great shape. What do ya think??? (3.8gm and 20mm)

Take Care
    Ben

[​IMG]

Marsyas Mike likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello,
    Nice quadriga on reverse !! nice coin

Cucumbor

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

That's totally cool Bone!
    I wonder if he could have been an ancestor of THE Cassius since this was the family name.Your coin was minted only a generation or two before the murder of Caesar.
    For those who aren't familiar with Roman Republican coins,the mintmaster was allowed to use his own name on the silver denari so that is how they're known.I have a few,one of which is L.Censorius.
    Ben's coin has the most classic design of the period (1st-2nd century BC) a helmeted head of the patron goddess Roma with a 4-horse chariot or quadriga and "ROMA" below the moneyer's name.
    That's a beauty!!!

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Here is an example that was produced by one of the best known moneyers of the time D Silanus LF.Whether or not he actually designed the coins he minted is doubtful but under him,some of the most beautiful designs were produced.This one is similar to Ben's but the reverse shows a two horse chariot or "biga"

Attached Files:

6. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

Is yours a Denarius as well? It's a beautiful coin :D

Ben

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Yes it is.The green holder it's in is made for US dimes.As I've mentioned in a previous thread,this exact size has been the standard for the basic fractional unit of silver since late Greek,early Roman times.A lot of later civilizations even kept the name,dinar,denier and of course the British early silver pennies (1d).

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

It's now official I hate you both LOL superb coins guy's please keep them a comming :D

De Orc :D

Draft saved Draft deleted