Roman coins to identify !! help please

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Islamic-coins, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Islamic-coins

Islamic-coins New Member

Here is another group of Roman coins which were found in the UK and cleaned but I have no idea what they are, any help is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Islamic-coins

Islamic-coins New Member

and this one as well:

Attached Files:

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Have you ever considered trying to look them up yourself so that you can learn more about them ? I'd wager you could do so by using the links found - HERE

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I have to take exception with your reply GDJMSP for all we know he might well have tried looking them up but with no sucsess!! I thought we allways tried to be helpful here? and his request is a perfectly justifyable one.

De Orc :hug:

Ps I think A couple I regognise but will need to check back later :)

6. Islamic-coins

Islamic-coins New Member

Well, I tried hard but failed, some roman coins collectors know the coin from the first look, it is just not my area of collection.

I can determine what kind of Islamic coin I have from the first look because Islamic coins is my speciality.

7. GDJMSP

And for all we know he may have not - because he didn't know where to look.

Give a man a fish and he will have a meal - teach a man to fish and he can feed himself forever ;)

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

I was under the impression that people were to be engouraged to ask for help & to ask questions and that is what he did, all I will say to you is if you answerd my query like that I would not come back, perhaps you should consider the wording of your response.

De Orc

9. GDJMSP

Take it how you will and if it offends you - then so be it.

They are encouraged to ask for help - they are also encouraged to try and help themselves and to increase their knowledge. Which is why I go to so much trouble to try and post links to sites to make information available to members so that they can learn. And I rather think that my record of trying to help others speaks it for itself - and that is exactly how my initial response to Islamic-coins was intended. And quite frankly, I am offened that you find it to be otherwise.

10. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

OK here goes,
    Because of the condition of these coins,it's almost impossible for me to positively identify them but comparing the portraits against the emperors in my collection,here are my best guesses.
    #1)Clauduis II/Altar with flames-CONSECRATIO
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/sear/s3228.html
    #2)Claudius II-IMP C CLAVDIVS AVG/Sol holding a globe.
    #3)Constantius II/Soldier leaning on inverted spear,holding shield r.
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantius_II/_rome_RIC_viii_238.jpg
    #4)Constantius II/campgate of fortress
    http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantius_II/_constantinople_RIC_vII_021.jpg
    #5)Constantine II/Soldiers supporting Roman standard GLORIA EXCERCITAS http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/ric/constantine_II/_constantinople_RIC_vII_060.2.jpg
    #6)Claudius II (again)/Venus holding an apple
    Hope this helps you out because I need to go rest my brain now.:goofer:

11. Islamic-coins

Islamic-coins New Member

Thank you soo much, your help is much appreciated.

Allah bless you.

12. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello
    I'm sorry I have to disagree with Mikjo0, but the beard on #6 is too long and the style is not of Claudius. IIMO it must be either Postumus or Victorinus.

Cucumbor

13. happycobra

happycobra Senior Member

I’m always impressed that you guys can I D a low grade coin by looking at the heads. There are so many varieties minted in the life span of each emperor. A lot of the roman emperors look the same to me.

14. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Cucumbor my man!
    Where have you been when it comes to helping me with these Roman ID'S?
    These are just guesses and in a few cases it looks like a match but I agree with you on the last one..I had trouble with that.
    Thanks buddy!:)

15. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Hello Mikjo0,

Far from me the intention of beeing offensive !!!
    I should have written "I agree with everything Mikjo0 says, but one" ;)
    I'm a bit busy at work at the moment and not as close to the boards as I would like to be, but I still have a look from time to time, just to check nobody writes mistakes :D

Best regards
    Cucumbor

16. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

17. Islamic-coins

Islamic-coins New Member

Thank you again, you guys are truly a great credit .

18. constantine

constantine New Member

hi
    i can identify No.d as a constantine camp gate coin and NO.e as another constantine coin.have u ever tried cleaning them??? if u need some more tips bout roman coins ask me.

19. zuhairy

zuhairy New Member

nice coin!

dear islamic coins,

i really attract with your coin. edited - offers to buy, sell or trade are not permitted in this area

thanks...

may Allah bless you too:smile

20. zuhairy

zuhairy New Member

sorry!!!!

i'm so sorry. i does'nt mean want to sell or whatsoever. just wanna share my information. ok, i'll never do it again.

sorry:(

21. GDJMSP

No problem, I wasn't sure if it was a language issue or not. But it was easy to interpet your wording that it was an offer. And so to be fair with everyone else - I edited your post. Just try to be careful how you word your posts :)

Draft saved Draft deleted