Roll of 1955 Pennies

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Firmso, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Firmso

Firmso Coin Dawg

There is someone I know who has a roll of circulated VF to XF 1955 Pennies that is highly unlikely to contain any DDs. What would be a par price for them if I were to give those coins a new home?

Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ten-cents

ten-cents Senior Member

$1.50, maximum. Be sure to check for "poor man's double dies," that have minor date doubling. These are worth $1-2 dollars apiece.

4. trogdor

trogdor Junior Member

3 cents each is a good price, but as a maximum it seems a bit low. $2 wouldn't be a horrible price either.

5. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

"Poormans Double Die", Alan Herbert said it best, " its a blatant attempt to confuse the buyer into thinking he is buying a much more valuable hub doubled die variety". They're worth no more than the average circulated lincoln wheat cent...

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Hi abe. Any idea who came up with the term or when it was first used.

7. Captainkirk

Captainkirk 73 Buick Riviera owner

here we go again. most collectors hear this term their first week or so in the hobby, it's not an attempt to deceive, just an old, inappropriate but much used term.

8. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Here, for your reading enjoyment:

http://www.cointalk.com/t72009/

9. abe

Here's a better question, did you ever find out who first started this scam? I'm sure it was a single crooked dealer who got the brilliant idea with dollar signs in his eyes. It was the craze in those days, get your hole filler until you get the real deal. Anytime someone posts this coin and saying its worth a couple dollars, I will post the exact thing. Anyone who approves of this coin is more than likely selling them. Have a nice day...

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Thanks abe. Thought you might have some new info to share.
    I gave up after spending way too much time looking for the answers.
    It's just a part of coin collecting history that would be interesting to know.

11. FreezerBurn

FreezerBurn Member

But it fills the hole in my Whitman album just as nicely as the real DDO and for much less money. Anyone actually buying a "Poor Man's Double Die" failed to educate themselves first.

12. illini420

illini420 1909 Collector

Know anyone who is selling them for the price of an average circulated wheat cent???? No???? Well me either. Because they are worth more than that. Sure, not as much as the major DDO, but still worth a slight premium. The poorman's doubled die is worth cherrypicking.

13. abe

Anybody who wants one just pm me, they're free..

Draft saved Draft deleted