RNA Coin Show News Article -- Thalia makes the front page!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by umtrr-author, Nov 6, 2006.

1. umtrr-author

umtrr-author Thalia and Kieran's Dad

I mentioned the Rochester Numismatic Association's annual coin show in another thread. The entire family attended and on Sunday a news photographer took a number of photos of Thalia Elizabeth. Here is the result:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061106/NEWS01/611060322/1002/NEWS

(You may have to glue this link together.)

In the print edition, the article is on Page 3B but there is an inset photo of Thalia on the Front Page!!!

We are proud parents today...

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jim M

Jim M Ride it like ya stole it

WTG...... congrats George and tell Thalia I said hello.

4. satootoko

satootoko Retired

And well you should be.

That's one cute kid you have there. (Almost as cute as my granddaughter of about the same age. :D )

5. umtrr-author

I'll bet we both have our biases, Roy :D .

BTW, with reference to your sig, we are both trying really hard to call them "Lincoln Cents" and "Indian Cents" and "Canadian Cents"... and "British Pennies." Not perfect yet, but we're getting there!

More seriously, we both enjoyed the show. I'm not quite ready to make the big leap into multiple digit coin purposes-- the one big thing I came away with was more knowledge-- but one of the great things about the hobby is that one can enjoy on a budget.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Goerge you may have created a monster :D

That girl just may go places in this hobby - keep up the good work :thumb:

7. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

George,that is one very interested collector you have got there.

Aidan.

8. umtrr-author

Further to the "creating a monster" or perhaps I should say future major league collector! I have to tell you all a further story about this show.

One of the dealers made a substantial contribution to the junior club and Thalia and I were among the folks sorting through it.

After I took Thalia home from the show on Saturday I looked up a few of the world coins that were contributed in the Krause book and told her what the book said they were worth.

Her response was: "What if they're slabbed?"

Now, I know the opinions on slabs are mixed, but I thought it was amazing that she would say something like that! Of course, I needed to explain what a slab was, and that it was important to know who did the slabbing; and when we went back to the show on Sunday morning I showed her a few slabs just so she could see what they were. There were some "bargain closeouts" on recent issue coins that were slabbed (probably priced lower than the cost of getting the slabbing done!) but I told her that when it was time to get one of those, we would want it to be a much older coin.

Meanwhile, the librarian at the school my two children attend saw the paper yesterday and is interested in displaying Thalia's Queen Elizabeth coin exhibit, so maybe we'll bring a few more people into the fold!

9. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Looks like Thalia was the hit of the show!
    I'm trying to get two of my nieces interested as well.The older (10) has all the proof sets back to 1996,her birth year which are worth a lot of money now..
    I found some pictures of Queen Elizabeth or should I say Princess Elizabeth that Thalia might like to see.
    Sometimes it's hard for kids to realize that us gnarly oldsters were once children too.:)

Attached Files:

10. Bonedigger

Bonedigger New Member

:) Priceless

Take Care
    Ben

11. umtrr-author

Mikjo1,

The middle image in the sequence looks like it's from the 1935 Bank of Canada 20 dollar bill. We had an image of it in the display, with the caption, "This bill with Princess Elizabeth costs four thousand dollars!". (Some varieties of that bill are listed for that much.)

Directly below that is a Canada stamp with the same picture of Princess Elizabeth, with the caption "But I do have this stamp with Princess Elizabeth on it!" Fortunately, that stamp costs about 35 cents!

We'll have to look for that Newfy stamp. I don't think we've seen it before.

Incidentally, The Queen is an avid stamp collector. We're aware of another young lady from this area who assembled a stamp collection and, with the help of the stamp club here and the one in Toronto, received an audience with Her Majesty to discuss the topic!

Draft saved Draft deleted