Removing glue residue from slabs

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by vincent2920, Oct 23, 2006.

1. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

I've received a couple of slabbed coins recently but the idiot put cheap tape right on the slab over the coin and after removing it there's glue left on the slab. I want to remove the glue without harming the plastic surface of the slab. How about a few ideas from the peanut gallery. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Burks

Burks New Member

I've used rubbing alcohol on mine.

No noticeable damage.

4. dopeuser

dopeuser Senior Member

Same thing, alcohol (99.9% isopropanol alcohol).
    Pure acetone will eat the plastic, leaving it hazy looking, dont use acetone!

5. ranchhand

ranchhand Coin Hoarder

yes, do not use acetone!
    Alcohol should work. If the slab is beyond restoration you can get it re-slabed for $5 (you usually do not need to be a member to get a coin re-slabbed)

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I always just rub it off with my thumb. Takes a minute to get it all, but it comes off.

7. tcore

tcore Coin Collector

I always make a loop of Scotch tape with the sticky side out and blot the sticky spot on the slab with it. The adhesive on the tape will stick to the adhesive on the slab and pull it off. Give it a try. It's a nice alternative to using liquids. You may have to stick it several times to get it all to come off. Just make a quick blotting motion with it and it should come off. As a note, I use this method to take off all kinds of sticky stuff like the stuff that gets left on CD cases from the security seal.

8. PyrotekNX

PyrotekNX Senior Member

Isopropal alcohol isn't very good for plastic either it can leave the surface a bit hazy. Never use it for cleaning eyeglasses because it can remove the protective coating on the lens. Oops or Googone will probably remove the residue without harming the surface. Just make sure that you let the liquid do the work instead of the cloth. The cloth is only used for blotting up the chemical and it should not be rubbed off.

9. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

This is my favorite method, although I use a heavier and stickier packing tape. Takes some time if there is a lot left, but it all comes off. (I also use it for CDs!!)

10. johndo

johndo New Member

Peanut Butter? it work's on gum in carpets, WD 40 as long as you don't spray it directly on the plastic for fear of it getting inside the slab, just a thought.

WD 40 has over 2000 uses

11. vincent2920

vincent2920 Senior Member

Thanks for all the ideas. I finally was able to get the glue off without damage but it wasn't easy. At first the alcohol just seemed to smear the glue around. I repeated the process several times and was able to get most of it off. I then used the old "thumb rubbing" to get off the remainder and did a fianl cleanup with a little windex. One thing I'll say , never use nail polish remover. I found out the hard way , it eats the plastic finish.

12. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

Try a men's cologne such as DRAKKAR NOIR or just about any brand. The alcohol content is not that strong and will work just as well. Direct Alcohol from a bottle of rubbing or other type alcohol direct may be to strong and as noted, cloud the plastic. Since slabs are made slightly different at different times by different manufacturers, you may want to first test whatever you plan on using by trying some on the edge of the slab first.

Draft saved Draft deleted