Red spots on .9999 pure gold coins?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by BDF_NYC, Jan 24, 2010.

1. BDF_NYC

BDF_NYC New Member

I have discovered red spots on two .9999 pure gold bullion coins. One is a 2006 Buffalo Proof directly from the US Mint. The other was a 1989 $50 Maple Leaf. Since .9999 gold coins are not supposed to get red spots, I'm wondering what these could be? Both coins were stored carefully, and both were checked with a digital scale and micrometer to insure that they are not counterfeit.

Any ideas. And standard coin cleaners (MS70 and E-Z-est) have no effect.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GoldCoinLover

GoldCoinLover Senior Member

I have a gold bar (1 gram) from pamp suisse. It is pure gold (9999 fine), it has more of a black/reddish spot on it. I was wondering the same thing and made a thread on it a couple years ago. What's possible is what happens is there was something on the bar/coin after it was struck, which oxidized after it was minted, causing the reddish/color.

4. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

Welcome to CoinTalk.

Even though it is said that pure gold will not tone or become discolored, in practice it seems to happen fairly frequently. It sounds like your coins were exposed to something that got on the surface to cause the spots.

5. BDF_NYC

BDF_NYC New Member

The dark red spots on my Buffalo (.9999 gold) look almost like little droplets of liquid that then dried on the surface. My theory is that it was some kind of lubricant or coating used in the press machinery that splattered onto the coins and then dried rapidly because the coins are hot right after they're pressed. It is impossible to get off with normal coin cleaning solvents sold by the hobby supply stores. I am reluctant to use anything stronger like an acid, because it will damage the coin. I'm going to give it one last try using Acetone. If that doesn't work, then the coin is still worth 1 oz of .9999 bullion.

imrich likes this.
  6. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

I think trying clean it is a mistake. Sell it and buy another that you like.

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I agree. It seems like these red spots are somewhat common on Gold Buffalos. If you don't like it, you are much better off selling the coin you have and buying another without the spot.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Red spots show up on gold coins from time to time they always have. This coin for example - almost 300years old and struck in pure gold for all practical purposes (.986).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that has been happening for thousands of years. It's not likely to stop now.

Attached Files:

9. BDF_NYC

BDF_NYC New Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. I appreciate it. I'll probably just sell it with the spots.

10. imrich

imrich Supporter! Supporter

Join the crowd!! The attached image is of a 2006 PCGS MS69 $50 FIRST STRIKE, which has hideous red discoloration (over a large area) and nicks (darker spots in discolored area above left front leg) on the reverse image. Although less obvious in this photo, it is very recognizable when "sight seen". It is one of several I received in this condition, all having same date/grade. It provided new appreciation for "MS69 full mint luster and brilliance" as defined by a "top tier" TPG. I hope the Grade/Certification allows full recovery of the purchase price, as I'm certain we both, nor others, expect this condition on a "high grade" 24 Kt. Gold coin. I would also appreciate an explanation for this condition.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

11. GDJMSP

People have been offering explanations for decades. And every time a new one is given people nod their heads and accept it as being fact.

Well, maybe it is fact.But if it is, then why does it keep happening and why do the explanations always change?

The latest explanation being offered by the US MInt for the red colorationon the .9999 Buffs is that some oil is getting on the coins during the striking process. But what gets me - is that people accept that explantion.

C'mon, use your heads people. Gold does not change color because some oil gets on it. Gold is impervious to almost everything. Even strong acids don't leave a mark on gold let alone change the color. Aqua regia is the only thing that even touches gold.

And of course there's always the explanation that it is impurities in the gold alloy that cause color changes or toning - and yes even the red spots. They call them copper spots because copper was used in most coinage alloys.

Well what about those coins that don;t have any copper in them ? Those gold Buffs for example - .9999 pure and still they turn red sometimes. THAT'S why the new explanation of oil being the culprit. When the old explanation doesn't work anymore, then a new one is needed.

Well, guess what. They've needed a new one for centuries. Because 400, 500, 600, 700 years ago gold coins were struck in pure gold - 1.0000 gold. And ya know what - they sometimes got red spots on them !

One of these days people are going to wake up and admit that they don't know why. They will admit that gold, even pure gold, tones sometimes. They will face the evidence that has been in front of their eyes for thousands of years and finally say - we were wrong. Gold is not the "noble metal" that we thought it to be. Even though it is impervious to almost everything on the planet - sometimes it tones. We don't know what it is or why it is, we just know that it is something about the metal itself - it tones. Just like every other metal known to man.

So Rich - sometimes there just isn't an explanation. Sometimes it just is.

12. imrich

Great enlightening post!!

We're of similar knowledge base on this subject, but as a scientist I still crave a plausible explanation for this unexplained "rust" occurrence, throughout the centuries, on a touted "noble" metal. Once realized, I'll then continue to pursue the a greater than hocus-pocus origin of universe explanation.

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

I've always thought they were copper spots, but then again I'm not much of a gold guy.

14. GDJMSP

Fair enough - now explain how copper spots occur on a coin that contains no copper ?

15. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Well, if the gold is not 100%, it must be alloyed with something. I guess I always assumed it was copper, because all the gold coins up until 1933 were alloyed with copper or a mixture of copper and silver.

If the coin is only .999, or even .9999 fine, then there must be either 1/1000 or 1/10000 part, respectively, that is something other than gold. Why not copper? I would argue that even 1/10000 part of copper in a coin is enough to make it spot.

16. GDJMSP

You do realize just how small 1/10,000 is don't you ? You wouldn't even be able to see it with the naked eye. You wouldn't be able to see it with most magnifying glasses.

And yet this tiny, tiny dot of material can cause a spot of coloration that covers 50% of the coin ?

Do you really believe that ?

17. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Ahh, back to advanced science!

The colors we see for gold and copper are not simple to explain as just % of the metals. They only have their color on the surface and in energetic light ( photons source). When gold is added to glass, the color is red ( "Ruby glass"). I would agree with Doug that the red color does obviously exist on some gold coins, but I believe that gold is still a noble metal and is uncombined with any other metallic atom in the coin. Reflections from electron cloud surface tends to produce the reflective addition and can only be separated by using gold so thin it is transparent to a degree. Then the color ( since it is too thin for an electron cloud reflection) tends to be blue green.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-f...v=onepage&q=gold color quantum theory&f=false

Since the color of gold depends so much on the energy of photons striking the surface, it might be feasible ( speculation) that some chemical material during processing might become annealed to the surface and due to its chemistry block some photons of a certain energy level and thus produce the red effect (/speculation).

This is an interesting area, but research on some of the papers on color of metals and quantum effects can clear some of the thoughts. IMO.

Jim

18. imrich

An Interesting Hypothesis!

Your advanced possible explanation is somewhat reasonable, but still not plausible, or yet an axiom, a hypothesis without complete basis. I'll still anticipate an explanation of what conditions/chemistry generates the RED random deposits on GOLD surfaces. I believe it is a chemical bond, as I've gone through numerous experiments to neutralize same, and had limited success.

19. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I'm wondering why you guys call Gold a noble metal.....Nobel as in a nobel gas. Nobel gases don't combine with anything, they just are. Gold can be made into an alloy, so I'd think a chemical bond with something else is possible. If a chemical bond is possible, then if a metal is 100% pure, this might leave bonds that haven't combined with anything. I wonder if something, possibly oxygen, chemically combines with the metal at the surface. I wonder because I remember an experiment in college where we tried to explain the refractive index of a purely silicon substrate. It turned out to be that silicon forms 4 chemical bonds, so if the substrate were 100% pure silicon, there would have to exist "dangling" bonds, just waiting to combine with something. That something turned out to be oxygen, and the refractive index proved that sure enough, the surface of the substrate was actually silicon oxide.

20. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Silversurfer, you can find several definitions on different sites. This one is from Wikipedia.

Gold for instance can form halide compounds such as gold chlorides, from use of aqua regia or from direct halogenation at high temperatures. They can also react with potassium cyanide to form a soluble gold compound ( used in gold mining), but such reactions are few and not normally ( probably never) applicable to the environmental conditions of gold coins.

Most sources consider alloys to be solid solutions and not chemically ( reacted) combined.

I would be interested in any chemical reaction of gold shown to occur under normal storage environments and not involving washing with aqua regia or potassium cyanide. However cyanide dips for coins were very popular over 100 years ago.

IMO.

Jim

21. SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer Whack Job

I just checked, and there is Hydrogen Cyanide in cigarette smoke. So, finding cyanide in the local environment might not be that difficult. Wondering if the owner of the spotted gold smokes, or has someone around who does?

Draft saved Draft deleted