Recent Acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Moustan, Aug 24, 2008.

1. Moustan

Moustan New Member

U.S coins ain't really my thing but I got a handful the other day at an antiques fair:
    A dollar, a trade dollar and something with Liberty and some classical figure on it.
    Also, a dime with another classical figure, some sort of medieval coin + a German commemorative. The German's a bit peculiar as given it's a centenary minted in 1913 I'd guess it's commemorating some part of the Napoleonic wars.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Moustan

Moustan New Member

'Other pics, I'd be grateful for any knowledge on the coins :D

Attached Files:

4. snaz

snaz Registry fever

can we get better pics of the trade dollar?

5. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Possibly, gimme a few mins to get the steam-engine going in my camera again :)

6. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Trade Dollar

Attached Files:

7. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Hi

The "medieval coin" is a Nürnberg jeton, probably from the 16th century.
    I don't think it's very rare, but it's a nice little piece for a coin collection.
    This site will help you to nail the ID:
    http://c.cater.users.btopenworld.com/HTMLFiles/inscriptions_on_nuremburg_jetons.html

On another note, I will be positively surprised if the seated Liberty dollar and the Trade dollar turn out to be real. These are heavily forged - especially the Trade dollar. It's hard to determine from your pics, but I don't think the rims look very good.The size seems different on all the three dollar coins, and that's another indication they are fakes. As a matter of fact, I believe all three of them are likely fakes.....:( Sorry to be bringer of bad news.......

The German, or to be more specific; Preussian, 3 mark is a nice piece.
    I haven't had a very good look at it, but I would guess it's genuine, and grades about EF. Krause value is 30$ in that grade. It could be polished, which would take away some value, but it's still a very cool design, commemorating 100 years since Napoleon was defeated, as you said.

8. svessien

svessien Senior Member

The 1885 Trade dollar is an extremely rare coin (catalog value 1.5 million$ in Proof 63 grade), and very unlikely to show up at a flea market. I believe you should regard this one as a "copy".

9. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Lol thanks for the tip, can I ask what a flea market is?

10. svessien

svessien Senior Member

My mistake! Writing my response, I got the idea that you had bought them at a second hand market (we call that a "flea market" in Norway),
    but I see you were at an antiques fair. :)

11. Moustan

Moustan New Member

Cheers, Svessien. Tbh they do feel awfully light for their size. Compared to say a crown. Guess I'll sell them on ebay then, seen a copy dollar going for £10 there before anyways so I should make a profit :)

Draft saved Draft deleted