Receiving the first of the 2009 Buffalo *WITH PICS, watch out 56k*

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by boxerchip, Nov 4, 2009.

1. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

This is the Second over all product ive purchased from the mint (the Lincoln chronicles set being the first) and my 4th buffalo.
    I am quite impressed with the display it came in... so much so im going to order another one just to leave in the mint display near my computer.
    Impressed and pleased with the early ship date the mint delivered on.

Very happy with the coin over all, it has a beautiful EVEN rim, the only usual flaw on buffalos that I HATE!! I hope you all enjoy the pictures.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. boxerchip

more

Attached Files:

4. Argento

Argento Perplexed

Ahh, the Buffalo. Such a nice coin. Who knows when mine will ship. Damn it.

5. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Boxerchip, you da man......:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

Did UPS deliver yours ??

6. boxerchip

UPS tried, (see other post in buffalo thread) but I ended up driving and getting it from them. All for nothing too! coin guy is not even open till tomorrow... will be nice to have a night to admire it before sending it off for a grade.... of PR70 for sure :p

7. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Very nice presentation and a beautiful coin.

". . . the only usual flaw on buffalos that I HATE!!. . . "

What is the usual flaw?

I'm picking up my AGB from the UPS depot this evening.

8. boxerchip

Usual flaw and 80% of Ebay buffalo coins: Coin is OFF center/ has chrome on the lip of the coin. ill find an example on ebay and link you.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-W-50-Gold-Buffalo-Proof-Early-Releases-NGC-PF70_W0QQitemZ180426574703QQcmdZViewItemQQptZCoins_Bullion?hash=item2a02430b6f

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=360204493679&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Check out the reverse, TOP of the coin the lip is too thin, bottom of the coin next to the front buffalo feet, chrome on the coin rim.

9. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Hmmmm. I can't check eBay from this PC that'll have to wait 'til I get home tonight.
    Having never examined a AGB up close I'm a little disheartened by the defects. If a lot of the coins have these defects then I wonder if it's accurate to state that over time MS70 AGB should significantly appreciate in value? I bought one AGB proof which I picked up last night but it's still in the sealed mint box and the other, AGB NGC MS70, from a dealer which hasn't arrived. I had planned to trade/sell the MS70 AGB but will probably keep it after learning about the defects.

10. boxerchip

Its not something most people pay any attention to I would think.... never seen anyone else mention it. I have just noticed it on a lot of ebay coins and one of my own that I had to sell because I couldn't take looking at the offset.

11. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

After spending $1,364.95 for the coin I'll be a tad unhappy if it displays the blemishes you describe. I just got off the phone w/ PCGS I'm going to take the unopened AGB to their booth at the Whitmaan show next week. They told me by not opening the box it's assured first strike designation which doesn't make sense to me because, I assume, at this date all are first strike. They wouldn't grade my UHR as first strike because the package haD been opened and the FS designation date had slipped by when I brought it to them so I didn't get it graded.

I'm finished with Monaco purchases because I just relalized on Oct 14th they charged my credit card for the MS70 AGB and I still have not received the coin.
    Hello APMEX.

12. boxerchip

I just paid damn near 100$ to have my coin to be shipped off to PCGS and MAYBE come back with nothing done... boy do I feel like a sucker. *crosses fingers its a pr70*

13. oodinero

oodinero Junior Member

why does it cost so much? isn't it close to $30 + s&h?

14. boxerchip

$30 for the grading
    $8 "handling" fee for dealing with a PCGS dealer and not being a member myself
    14$ for "first strike"
    40$ shipping
    =92$

15. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Ouch! that's a good bit of money. Good luck with the grade - PR70 no doubt.

I won't have to pay postage and not even parking because I can park in my work garage and walk to the show where PCGS has a booth.

Oodinero, here is the link to the pcgs grading web page including 800 phone #:
    http://www.pcgs.com/submission.html

16. boxerchip

Whew, I hope its a PR 70 and not an MS70 :p hahaha
    I hope for that grade too, but just in case.... I just ordered another one.
    NGC for the second one.

Order# difference between first and last order- 38,959
    Lets hope those are not all buffalo proofs!

17. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

Got my first order of five in today. Sent 3 of 5 to PCGS overnight express.
    YEEEEHAAAAW !!!!!!!....:hail:

18. boxerchip

.............. your FIRST order of FIVE!? yet you cant run with the big boys via PF70s.... I must be missing something.

19. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

Sorry about the MS70 error :-(

Good luck with the second order. I was going to order another one for three so far but after seeing pictures of some of the reverse cameo proofs I'm going to pick up a couple of those if I can find them. APMEX doesn't a any AGE reverse cameo proofs but I'm still looking elsewhere.
    I'm learning enough through this forum to be dangerous to my bank account but it's a lot of fun.

20. boxerchip

I love the reverse AGE, 3k is too rich for my blood right now though. I would snag on at a show or on ebay... apmex is great, but they generally dont get super desirable coins such as that or buffalo factionals etc. GREATTTTTT prices on silver bullion though, no one can beat them.

21. midas1

midas1 Exalted Member

I'm hoping to do serious some damage to my bank account at the Whitman Show in Baltimore next week. Wish list so far: reverse cameo proof ASE. AGE, AGB, pair of 2009 ASE, highly graded buffalo nickel (date to be determined), some euro or french The Sower coins. Don't know what I'll wind up with when it's all over. I'm going Friday while the selection is still good.

I'm going to become a big APMEX fan.

Draft saved Draft deleted