Question? How much is a full state quarter coin set worth?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by zezima6, Apr 2, 2009.

1. zezima6

zezima6 New Member

I just completed my state quarter set a few weeks ago, and I was wondering if anyone knew how much it would be worth in the coin market?:kewl:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. raider34

raider34 Active Member

It depends, are they just regular quarters from circulation? If so probably just face value.

4. zezima6

zezima6 New Member

they are all directly from the mint so how much would that be worth?

5. FentonForche

FentonForche Senior Member

Did you just order them then stick them in some sort of album? If so, I would reiterate that they probably are worth $12.50.

If they're graded or something else special then that changes the situation and others can chime in, but I've collected regular state quarters too and I don't think they have any special value. They're too unbiquitous.

6. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

Proof or BU, with all mints? Slabbed? There's a big difference in what they are worth and what you can sell them for. For a complete BU set I've seen purchase (buy) prices range from $55-99.

7. raider34

raider34 Active Member

Are they the just the uncirculated quarters, or the proofs, and are they still in the original mint holders?

8. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

You'd be lucky to get $32 for a complete tubed set of 100 coins.

There are only 8 or 10 with much of a premium right now.

9. Harryj

Harryj Supporter**

What! What about the TV coin sets that sell complete sets of BU's at $100? Many people buy them and will be surprised in 10 years when they try to sell them and won't even get what they paid for them.

10. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Those sets are way, way overpriced. Brilliant uncirculated doesn't get you much. Coins you get are not may not look very good and it's a real hassle returning them. I suckered myself years ago buying a complete set. Just nice to pass on to the grand kids.

11. hontonai

hontonai Registered Contrarian

What about them? They just help prove once again that Barnum was right.

EagleEyez likes this.
  12. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

OH NO! a gift from a family member to another should not be looked at in terms of monetary value but a meaningful thoughtfulness, remembrance. At least I hope thats the way my family would think.

13. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

$32 is a wholesale price. Retail is anywhere from about $60 to $100 but they can be bought cheaper. Remember that these are usually sold in folders which is value added since it takes time to fill them.

Tubed sets might be purchased for only about $40 without much trouble.

Sometimes time will bail people out of overpriced coins but I wouldn't count on it with these.

If there was any care taken to select nicer coins the set could be worth more. While gem coins can be worth large premiums there isn't a lot of value associated with coins that are merely choice at this time. I would expect a premium to develop here in time. Some of these are just hard to find well made and fairly clean.

14. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

My view and personal use of, state quarters is that they are great to sit around with the family, especially if some are younger and try to fill slots in an album. Using pocket change it can be fun to find the cleanest examples (great way to develop an eye for the better coins) and build a nice set. Plus there are many coin enthusiasts for whom even a $25 Buff may be out of budget so state quarters caN be a lot of fun. Many of the biggest names in coin collecting started with humble coins.

15. chasva69

chasva69 Member

might be heresy to disagree with this, but if you're leaving them something of sentimental value then pictures of you and the grandkids hiking in the Grand Canyon or the like will do the trick. But if you're leaving them coins, take the time and effort to leave them something harder to find than state quarters, and with more monetary value. They'll appreciate it even more.

16. zekeguzz

zekeguzz lmc freak

Cladking, Silvermonger, Chasva69 I agree with everything you wrote. You put it much better than the way I expressed it.
    Price paid for the quarters is trivial compared to the enjoyment everyone gets putting together a circulated coun set or a pf70 proof set. If it can be shared with others well that's the greatest thing of all.

17. Daggarjon

Daggarjon Supporter**

lets see - 10 years, 5 quarters per year, multiply by 2 for both P and D... so let me get my calculator out.. carry, the 1... umm ... 100 quarters... multiply by the value of 25... and hold the 2, carry something... thats $25. or for just the P or D series, thats $12.50. Add slabbed or proof coins... or even the silver versions, and then you get some value.

Sure folks will try to sell them for more.. but those who actually buy them for the high prices... well they just really really REALLY want the set and are willing to pay all that extra money for it. Nothing worng with it, not at all.. but the sets are not worth that much.

18. matty 440

matty 440 Member

Yes they do go for that and you have a gold road island coin that's also with 10 to 15 dollars if its in good shape

19. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

20. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I like them at MS66 in the PCGS flag holders.

21. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I'm almost afraid to ask, but.... do tell of this valuable "gold Rhode Island" coin.

green18 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted