pure investment Eagles or Buffaloes?

Discussion in 'Bullion Investing' started by AlexN2coins2004, Aug 26, 2009.

1. AlexN2coins2004

AlexN2coins2004 ASEsInMYClassifiedAD

so I'm going with coins as the main hub of my silver collection instead of bars but does it matter more on the type of coin?

I have 2 choices to decide from

1oz Buffalo Silver bullion
    or
    1oz American Silver Eagle

I can get the Buffaloes for $1.19 over spot and the Eagles for $1.89
    I'm looking for advice on this.
    I don't really know much about the buffaloes.
    here's a link to them on apmex.com

https://www.apmex.com/Product/44447/1_oz_999_Fine_Silver_Rounds___Buffalo.aspx

You guys think these could carry a premium in the future or are they just bars in the shape of coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JrCoin

JrCoin resident Michigander

I'd go ASE they have a better chance of selling for more when you decide to do so, and they have legal tender status, which in my opinion makes them a bit more collectable. Keep them in the green lid tubes or a Dansco album and let them tone, the nicely preserved toned specimens command a premium when you do sell.

4. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

Pardon me but I thought the only Buffalo silver were in the form of commemoratives that go for hundreds over spot? Or are you talking Silver rounds not made by the U.S. mint.

If this is the case I would choose ASE's.

5. AlexN2coins2004

there's a link to the buffaloes I am talking about

6. CrustyCoins

CrustyCoins Twilight Photographer

Funny, it must be late because I completely glossed over that link.

While I like the buff design, because they are rounds there is little value other than silver.

At least with ASE's you not only get investor value but the potential of collector value in the future because they are made by the U.S. mint.

7. Cloudsweeper99

Cloudsweeper99 Treasure Hunter

The buffalos are silver rounds. I think the ASE is best. When you go to sell at some point in the future, there is a good probability that the rounds will sell at or slightly below spot. The ASEs might range from a bit more than spot to substantially more depending on how long the series continues.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

ASEs, Maples, Austrian Philharmonics, Pandas and such will hold the premium plus offer other numismatic potential after these designs change or the programs end. If you want more physical silver than you get for paying the premium of the ASEs, Maples, etc. now and you like designs of popular US coinage know that you can find rounds that imitate these designs. QSB sells such designs on their silver rounds, similar to that APMEX Buffalo.

9. AlexN2coins2004

ok thanks everyone I'm going to stick with American Silver Eagles forr my silver collection

I was looking as a main point of my collection to actually keep the base value of what I pay and increase in value if the silver spot prices stay even with whrre they are now or go up :D

I plan on making a 4-5 pound order in the next couple days and hope the price stay level or goes down til then

10. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

The linked page shows silver rounds produced by a private manufacturer. If you were talking about the Buffalo commemoratives by the US Mint, I'd say go with the Buffalo. But I would NOT choose a privately manufactured silver round over American Eagles. So stick with the Eagles.

11. holz

holz holz

The ASE will never be worth less then a buck.

Draft saved Draft deleted