Proofs vs BU Silver Eagles....

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrsushi66, Feb 3, 2005.

1. mrsushi66

mrsushi66 New Member

I have been dabbling in buying the Silver Eagles and have chosen to go with just picking up mint rolls of BU. I am working on the less expensive years at the moment but thought I would ask to see what other silver eagle collector's thoughts are.

I dont know if I should pick up the proofs to as I find them at a good price.

Dunno what it is about the silver eagles but I can't not buy them. I am pretty coin ignorant also so I thought these were a pretty fun/easy way to do this.

Paul

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Metalman

Metalman New Member

Paul,,

I buy one example of each for each year,since I do not sell them on the secondary market one of the Mint state and one Proof is enough.

4. Speedy

Speedy Researching Coins Supporter

Paul
    Let me suggest that you buy not only the less expensive ones but the higher ones too...1996--1986 are both good years.
    Yes I would get the proofs if they were good prices...I have a few and just love them...

Speedy

5. Steve E

Steve E New Member

They are VERY hard for anyone to resist buying. I get one of each every year since they were introduced. I wish they would replace the Sac dollar with the Eagle. Just something about a big 'ol dollar coin!!!

6. Exiled

Exiled New Member

I, too, really like them. I played catch-up a few years ago as I thought they wouldn't be around very long, especially since silver was going up. The only proof I have is the 2004 Proof that I bought to show the wife the difference. They are neat but I don't think I am going to collect them. Not only are the rolls good to get they would also be classified as a "Survival Coin" as they have the silver content and dollar denomination on them ready for barter. :)

7. Ciscokid

Ciscokid New Member

Initially I wanted to collect just the proofs, and I started to buy them in their OGP--Then I got this wild hair, I started buying slabbed MS69's, then I said hmm why not buy rolls and send the best to NGC & PCGS and get/make my own MS69's MS70's (ya right)--As they started coming back ms66's, 67's 68's & a few as ms69's and NO ms70's, I said o-o, this isn't gonna be easy or a slam dunk-- :eek:

So I started buying MS70's, soon I realized, o-o, this ain't gonna be easy either, to collect 1 of each in MS70--Some of these puppies are going for over $5k a pop--

So here I am now, trying to make a decision of whether to continue to try and collect the complete MS70 (which BTW can go for over $30k, not including the millennium specimen), or buy rolls and submit (which I doubt I will try again), or just be happy with my half ms70 set, and my second ms69 set, or whether sell them all off and go back to collecting other stuff--

Whata hobby ;) What would you guys do?? I do have a considerable amount invested in raw and slabbed, or should I just leave them alone in da safe?? :confused:

8. knowtracks

knowtracks Senior Member

Kid, you have a problem I would just love! I too cant resist the Silver Eagle, I have every proof except the 95 w. If I got started with Pr 70's, I dont know if I would stop. It seems once I'm headed down a road I have a hard time turning around. Dave

9. tradernick

tradernick Coin Hoarder

True enough, it's easy and fun to buy one of every year of the proof coins. Also true that a Dansco album complete with a BU from each year is a beautiful sight to behold. I can't keep them in the shop. I think the eagle program has been an overwhelming positive move for the coin hobby.
    Nick

10. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Buy the BU coins as they were designed initially as a bullion product. That is where you will get the most bang for your buck and you can get a whole lot more for your money sticking to the BU coins.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I used to collect ASE's and AGE's - even had a few APE's. I managed to complete the set of ASE's in Proof and Unc in MS/PF 69/70. I never went out of my way to purchase only a 70 coin, but if one came along at a reasonable price I bought it. If one didn't I bought the 69.

But it all depends on what you want to do with your won collection as to how you go about this. There is no right or wrong. I will say this though - in past 2 yrs the value of the slabbed coins has dropped by 50% or more from what it once was. Where it goes from here is anyone's guess.

12. GaryBurke

GaryBurke Senior Member

I also love the Silver Eagles. I collect one BU and one proof each year.

The obverse is magnificent. The reverse doesn't do too much for me.

:)

13. silvereagle82

silvereagle82 World Gold Collector

I too love silver eagles, collecting them is what started me down the path into coin collecting. I don't buy proofs but have a full set of quality BU (1986-2005) and now I assembling BU "world sets" (ASE,Panda,Libertad,Maple,Britannia) I have completed 2001,2002,2003 and 2004... and almost 2005 ,waiting on the 2005 libertad. I'm going to go back to at least 1998 , first year of Britannia. Maybe then I'll look at trying to build a proof set.
    Of course I'm now into a more serious endeavor collecting a full series of quality strike O-Mint Morgans (ms-63 & ^) except for the 1895 which I'm shooting for a MS? :eek:

14. fjrosetti

fjrosetti Member

Can anyone actually see any difference between MS70 and MS69.

If not, why on earth pay the huge amount 70s are going for?

15. Catman

Catman New Member

I wouldn't...

catman

16. pob374

pob374 New Member

I think they are the best coin ever made,I have a compleate set in ms-69.

17. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

It's one of the best designs ever and people can get one for a reasonable price. It would look even better if they gave it the Ike/Sackie reverse. :D

18. crystalk64

crystalk64 Knight of the Coin Table

Great reply Catman!!!

19. Catman

Catman New Member

I have to agree with Longnine on that one. It's a great reverse...

catman

20. sjnebay

sjnebay New Member

Eagles

When it comes to eye appeal, only Saints beat the proof silver eagle in my opinion. I collect the proofs for that reason and will soon be looking for the Silver Eagle Holy Graile --- the 1995 W. I think they are a spectacular coin.

Steve

21. Bacchus

Bacchus Coin Duffer

ASEs are what got me into coin collecting. I have a complete set of BU, and a couple proofs. Now I'm working on a set of BU AGEs (1/4 oz) ... when I can find them.

Draft saved Draft deleted