probus ad 276-282

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by davemac, Feb 6, 2010.

1. davemac

davemac dave

i paid £20 for this during the week and would like your op on it.
    Probus ad 276-285
    Obv ;imp probvs pf avg
    Rev; iovi cons.prob.avg
    Jupiter standing looking left holding thunderbolt and sceptre.
    Dave

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

It looks Very nice Dave but to be honest I am not sure if I would have paid £20 for it

4. davemac

davemac dave

got caught up in the moment i guess.
    what more can i say.

5. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Oh it happens Dave and so easily, who knows if I seen it I might well have done the same thing, it is easy for me sat here to say well I woudnt have LOL

6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I have seen a lot worse coins sold for a lot more money. While I don't see it as the bargain of the century, the coin is nice enough to bring a decent price. Probus has become a very popular speciality since I bought most of mine so nice ones are more costly and the rare ones are bringing ridiculous prices. This is a common one from the Rome mint. Compare to the first coin on my Probus page. Mine has the other obverse lacking IMP:
    http://dougsmith.ancients.info/probus.html

My coin has a little more remaining silvering which some people prefer but makes it harder to photograph properly. Brown coins can be prettier. I don't see it as a bad buy at all. Enjoy.

7. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

My Probus:

[​IMG]

Probus AE Antoninianus - Clementia
    Obverse: Radiate, draped bust right
    IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG
    Reverse: Probus standing right receiving globe from Jupiter, standing left
    CLEMENTIA TEMP - Exergue: *XXIQ (Cyzicus mint)
    Catalog: RIC 905,Q - Struck AD 276 - Size: 22mm
    "CLEMENTIA TEMP" means Clemency of the emperor

:)

8. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

what exactly is a probus? i'm trying to get into ancient coins and would very much like to know the difference between all the roman stuff.

9. Bart9349

Bart9349 Junior Member

This is a very nice example of a Probus that many knowledgable collectors would certainly be willing to pay at least this amount. The legend is readable and it is an interesting example of the type. That said, it might be a little "too nice", if you get what I mean.

Respectfully, there are many people whose interest in Ancients is not just the "Twelve Caesars;" i.e., those emperors mentioned in Suetonius's biographies of the first eleven emperors along with Julius Caesar.

Here's an example of someone dedicated to Probus coins:

http://probvs.net/probvs/

As a non-coin collector, I must say this is a nice piece of history of one of the pivotal emperors that saved the Roman Empire during the "Third Century Crisis." (Personally, I'm a big Claudius II Gothicus fan, but that is for another discussion at a different forum.)

I say nice coin. :thumb:

guy

10. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

yeah its pretty nice!

11. Gao

Gao Member

Probus is the name of the emperor who is depicted on the obverse of this coin.

12. coinman0456

coinman0456 Coin Collector

I agree, it is a nice example.

13. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

oops, i thought it was a coin type. my bad. i have sooo much to learn...

14. davemac

davemac dave

very nice just trying to get in to ancient

this is the line that worries me, i dont get it.
    this is why i ask for your opinion on this please explain.

dave

15. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Quote:
    too nice?

This bothers me, too. Often people who are new to coins believe that anything actually that old has to look like trash while the fact remains that there are many ancient coins that are as perfect as the day they were made. The other common misconception is that ancient coins are necessarily rare and expensive to the point that only the rich and museums can have them. The things were made by millions and millions. Millions survive. A small percentage are perfect. This coin is far from perfect. I would like to know how many examples of this coin (or any other common type) still exists. I suspect it is well over a thousand but far under a million. That is a huge span.

16. davemac

davemac dave

thank you doug as the other doug has shown lately that some coins no matter what age can be ms and can be graded in the us grade
    i know he was showing the very best that i have seen. but it can be done.
    not saying this would grade anything like them

17. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Your coin is genuine, and a good example at that. While De Orc has access to the best junk boxes in the greater London area, we all don't have that same advantage and do often have to pay £20 for coins like this. :D

18. davemac

davemac dave

at last someone that agrees with me. he does have that dont he dave :hammer:

19. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Just want to clear something up here I am not knocking Daves coin, far from it, it is a lovely looking coin but as Ardatirion just said based on were I live and some of the fairs we have here I do have a much wider spread to choose from for example I paid just over £20 for this one

Antoninus Pius 138 - 161 AD Silver Denarius

[​IMG]

20. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

This thread brings up a good point about more than coins. Coin prices , especially ancient coin prices, always vary a lot for what seems to be the same material. A large city with a lot of well to do collectors can be a great place to find bargains in lower grade or common material which may be beneath the notice of many of those collectors. A small town hundreds of miles from the nearest competition could be a terrible place to buy those same common coins since they are all that is available (take them or leave them). I used to do pretty well buying lower priced offerings by fancier dealers (NFA was particularly good in this respect) because the coins I was buying were not of interest to most of the people who got their catalogs. Similarly one could buy the nicest coins on some low end lists for less simpley because few people receiving that mailing ever spent much on a single coin. I suspect that the 20 pound coins shown here will be no better than examples some of us can find locally for $20 US. I would think that the Internet and online sales would cause these differences to even out but I can't say I have seen much of that yet. Coin value is all in the eye of the collector. You pay what you want and leave the rest to people who disagree with your opinion.

Now the bad question: If either of the 20 pound coins were to be taken back to the selling dealer and offered to him for sale would the offer be 5 pounds? More? Nothing at all?

21. davemac

davemac dave

now thats value for £20.lovely coin btw. i knew you were not knocking my coin thanks.dave

Draft saved Draft deleted